Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best Grass Seed?


what is the best grass seed that i can get? my backyard is very patchy and makes an absolute mess when it rains. I want to drop some grass seed in, but alot of the area is covered by a tree so it doesnt get much sunlight. What are my options?

Also,. does anyone have any experience with the new Scotts EZ Seed? I have seen alot of commercials for it...


Thanks!

tmcguirk is offline  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Best Grass Seed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcguirk View Post
what is the best grass seed that i can get? my backyard is very patchy and makes an absolute mess when it rains. I want to drop some grass seed in, but alot of the area is covered by a tree so it doesnt get much sunlight. What are my options?

Also,. does anyone have any experience with the new Scotts EZ Seed? I have seen alot of commercials for it...


Thanks!
I've heard really good things about the Rebel brand. I just bought a 25 lb bag at HD for a discount price of $40 (normally $59). They also carry a shade blend.

handy man88 is offline  
Old 05-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best Grass Seed?


hi i am putting down decking low lying up against the patio slideing doors which has a step and a concrete base that runs out a foot past the step.i understand about the beams and post how do i connect from these to the house with out going to high
brendan is offline  
Old 05-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best Grass Seed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
hi i am putting down decking low lying up against the patio slideing doors which has a step and a concrete base that runs out a foot past the step.i understand about the beams and post how do i connect from these to the house with out going to high
if anybody can give some help out there would be great
brendan is offline  
Old 05-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best Grass Seed?


you can probably start your own thread...
tmcguirk is offline  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Best Grass Seed?


has for your muddy lawn this is most probably because of poor drainage . you will most probably find that if you dig a trench and put some land drainage pipes in running at a slight fall . this should improve your lawn or you can do it the old way and put a french drain in . dig a trench and put old rocks and broken concrete in and cover up with earth .has for grass seed you need will depend on the use the lawn will get if you have kids best to put in a no 2 utillity lawn seed but if you have no kids and want a fine lawn you can put no 1 down . now can you help with my decking
brendan is offline  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Best Grass Seed?


Since your post has nothing to do with grass seed you will get the best reponse from people by starting a new thread with a proper title
Scuba_Dave is offline  
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Member
 
ccarlisle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,889
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Best Grass Seed?


No such thing as the 'best grass seed'. But a good definition is one that grows and gives you the lawn you want...but it all depends on which zone you're in. What properties are you looking for? what type of soil do you have?

Just like there's no best car, no best sealer, no best paint. All depends...
__________________
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline  
Old 05-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Best Grass Seed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
No such thing as the 'best grass seed'. But a good definition is one that grows and gives you the lawn you want...but it all depends on which zone you're in. What properties are you looking for? what type of soil do you have?

Just like there's no best car, no best sealer, no best paint. All depends...
I think the original poster wanted a recommendation on a grass seed brand, not a philosophy lecture.
handy man88 is offline  
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Member
 
ccarlisle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,889
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Best Grass Seed?


OK "handyman", define 'best' for us all...go ahead so that all 45000 lawn care companies in the US can benefit from your wisdom...

"Go ahead... make my day"
__________________
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline  
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Best Grass Seed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
OK "handyman", define 'best' for us all...go ahead so that all 45000 lawn care companies in the US can benefit from your wisdom...

"Go ahead... make my day"
Get past his first sentence and you will see clarity and specifics in his question (including the question "what are my optionS." He's asking for each individual's recommendationS based on their own experience.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcguirk View Post
my backyard is very patchy and makes an absolute mess when it rains. I want to drop some grass seed in, but alot of the area is covered by a tree so it doesnt get much sunlight. What are my options?

Also,. does anyone have any experience with the new Scotts EZ Seed? I have seen alot of commercials for it...


Thanks!
handy man88 is offline  
Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Member
 
ccarlisle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,889
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Best Grass Seed?


You really don't get it do you "handyman"? If you are anything close to what your name suggests you might be and that is a 'handy' 'man', the question asked by the op is something like me asking you, "handyman", "what's the best tool"?

It all depends. In this case, I have no idea where the op is located and therefore by definition almost, there is no right answer to his question. Even if we retain for the sake of argument, that he is looking for a grass seed 'for shade', I can give you that some bluegrasses fare better than bermuda grass but that supposes he has the choice of either one in the zone he lives in. Up here in the NorthEast, we don't have bermuda grasses, so no point going on about bermuda if he can't even buy it. So he's not looking for everyone'e experience...I mean who cares what success people have with seeds they have in Alaska if you live in Florida.

So everything, or most everything has to do with the other facets of lawns, soil type, location, seed type etc and even more has to do with good watering, fertilizing and aeration plans.

Lets have the couch potato tell us at least that much then maybe we'll help him out. It's just to easy to ask "What's the best...." thinking that there's one answer that everyone else has found - but that the poster can't be fagged to help us help him...
__________________
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline  
Old 05-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Best Grass Seed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
You really don't get it do you "handyman"? If you are anything close to what your name suggests you might be and that is a 'handy' 'man', the question asked by the op is something like me asking you, "handyman", "what's the best tool"?

It all depends. In this case, I have no idea where the op is located and therefore by definition almost, there is no right answer to his question. Even if we retain for the sake of argument, that he is looking for a grass seed 'for shade', I can give you that some bluegrasses fare better than bermuda grass but that supposes he has the choice of either one in the zone he lives in. Up here in the NorthEast, we don't have bermuda grasses, so no point going on about bermuda if he can't even buy it. So he's not looking for everyone'e experience...I mean who cares what success people have with seeds they have in Alaska if you live in Florida.

So everything, or most everything has to do with the other facets of lawns, soil type, location, seed type etc and even more has to do with good watering, fertilizing and aeration plans.

Lets have the couch potato tell us at least that much then maybe we'll help him out. It's just to easy to ask "What's the best...." thinking that there's one answer that everyone else has found - but that the poster can't be fagged to help us help him...
Why do you need to get personal?

Why can't you just offer suggestions instead of a lame philosophy lecture?

If you have no suggestions, you're better off not typing anything and wasting your time.
handy man88 is offline  
Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
Member
 
Floorwizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Alaska!
Posts: 1,522
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Best Grass Seed?


This thread has quickly ran it's course

Floorwizard is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grass seed questions..... Mikey Palmice Landscaping & Lawn Care 4 04-22-2009 09:00 PM
Grass seed - in bulk brokenhammer Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 03-26-2009 06:58 PM
grass seed rcassidy Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 02-27-2009 07:03 PM
Grass seed and climate brokenhammer Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 02-10-2009 10:45 AM
When/how to seed grass in dead areas? curls00 Landscaping & Lawn Care 8 07-29-2007 01:25 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.