Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Best grass

Im trying to find out whats the best grass to plant in my yard. Id plant crabgrass, barnyard grass or any other of the non prefered grasses. I have a large backyard, about 3/4 of an acre and I have 3 pitbulls. The city codes says that I have to have about 60% covered with some type of grass. Ive had some people say get rid of the dogs, but the dogs keep what is mine, mine. I use to have an electric fence but the city said that I couldnt have it. My property extends about 250 ft behind my house. I put up a 7 ft solid fence all around my back yard, (out of site out of mind) but the city took pictures of my backyard over the top of the fence and sent me a new ticket in the mail. So theres noway around it I have to plant some type of grass.

cowboy4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #2

Best grass

Get some type of common bermuda. Go to a turf store and get some good seed. If that gets going in your yard, it is hard to stop. It will run all over the place. If you plant it now, you should have plenty of time for it to be established.

In other words, don't buy a hybrid that grows straight up. You want something that will run, do those dogs can't destroy it running around.

Doesn't the city have anything better to do?

FieldersChoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Best grass

Quote:
The city codes says that I have to have about 60% covered with some type of grass.
BUMMER!

I'm guessing that maybe it has to do with erosion concerns of the bare soil. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Could you give us a little more description of what they call "grass?"
Quote:
Id plant crabgrass, barnyard grass or any other of the non prefered grasses.
Do they mean actual lawn grass? If not, that would probably work but I don't know where you actually would get the seed. I'd go with just plain old ryegrass and throw a little bermuda in there. The bermuda is a little high, but mixed in it will eventually spread which will help when the dogs wear paths in the yard.

Don't forget to get some wheat straw to mulch over it. That will GREATLY help the germination. Come to think of it, some really cheap straw that has crappy weed seed in it might be just the thing.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #4

Best grass

On second thought after reading the last post. You could go to Wal-Mart and buy some cheap seed. It is bound to have weed seed in it.
FieldersChoice is offline   Reply With Quote