Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
homeowner learning quick

Rewards Points: 75

Bayer liquid weed killer & 2 Gallon flomaster pressure sprayer combo pack @ HD $10

The Home Dept add yesterday had a special purchase combo pack with a bottle of Bayer liquid weed killer and a 2 Gallon Flomaster pressure sprayer for $9.88. I was there tonight and picked one up. All the 1 gallon pressure sprayers I have seen are around $10-$12 for a decent basic version so I figured for the price I would grab it.

I am not an expert on pressure sprayers but I tested it & it seems to be as good as any of the basic sprayers I have seen at HD or Lowes. It comes with a cone and flat sprayer heads.

For $10 you get a 2 Gallon sprayer as opposed to a 1 gallon for the same price. I'm not sure if the Bayer liquid weed killer is any good (or if I will even use it) but I look at that as a freebie anyway

I wanted to post this deal in case someone else wants to grab one and didn't see the add. I may go grab another tomorrow - for $10 it can't hurt to have a second sprayer around. I am sure these will go quick given the price and how many people have been flocking to HD for lawn care stuff lately
J

whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Bayer liquid weed killer & 2 Gallon flomaster pressure sprayer combo pack @ HD $10

Quote:
for $10 it can't hurt to have a second sprayer around.
Get two. Keep one for herbicides only and label it clearly as such. Use the other for insecticides and fertilizers- things that won't hurt the plants if it gets on them.

Why? Always rinse after use; triple rinse is a good idea. But there could still be traces of herbicide in there, especially if you rinse the tank and forget to run a clean rinse through the hose.

Do I do it? Yes. I have two $80 backpacks set up the same way plus the four or five little ones. As a matter of fact, one is for greenhouse only.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutj View Post
The Home Dept add yesterday had a special purchase combo pack with a bottle of Bayer liquid weed killer and a 2 Gallon Flomaster pressure sprayer for $9.88. I was there tonight and picked one up. All the 1 gallon pressure sprayers I have seen are around $10-$12 for a decent basic version so I figured for the price I would grab it.

I am not an expert on pressure sprayers but I tested it & it seems to be as good as any of the basic sprayers I have seen at HD or Lowes. It comes with a cone and flat sprayer heads.

For $10 you get a 2 Gallon sprayer as opposed to a 1 gallon for the same price. I'm not sure if the Bayer liquid weed killer is any good (or if I will even use it) but I look at that as a freebie anyway

I wanted to post this deal in case someone else wants to grab one and didn't see the add. I may go grab another tomorrow - for $10 it can't hurt to have a second sprayer around. I am sure these will go quick given the price and how many people have been flocking to HD for lawn care stuff lately
J
If you look at the ratings, many have rated flowmasters very low..

i'd stick with the roundup or ortho sprayers.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
homeowner learning quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
If you look at the ratings, many have rated flowmasters very low..

i'd stick with the roundup or ortho sprayers.
I figured the sprayer wasn't the best available but it is listed as a Flomaster premium sprayer. I took it out of the box and compared it to the other sprayers (round up, etc) and it seemed to be made of similar quality materials. I especially looked at the hose which was the same as on the round up. The one thing it does not have is a pressure release valve.

I didn't think to look for ratings - I will do that
J
Old 05-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
I figured the sprayer wasn't the best available but it is listed as a Flomaster premium sprayer. I took it out of the box and compared it to the other sprayers (round up, etc) and it seemed to be made of similar quality materials. I especially looked at the hose which was the same as on the round up. The one thing it does not have is a pressure release valve.

I didn't think to look for ratings - I will do that
J
It might be worth keeping at that low price....especially since you won't be using it that much.

What I found about sprayers is that you'd better not lose any of the fittings because replacements, if you can find them, cost almost as much as the sprayer itself.

That's why I have a 3 gallon and had to buy another 1 gallon.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I have a 2 gal and a 1 gal flomaster....don't use them that much...but they do seem to have plastic parts break more than once....I'd steer toward something else. This is one where you do get what you pay for IMO. I actually don't use them that much becuz I prefer the one gal spray versions of Weed B Gone etc...no mix...no having to label ..or separate.. no fuss..no cleanout...easy to use...toss when you are done. Sure you might pay a few pennies more...but not all that much and certainly worth the convenience.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
I have a 2 gal and a 1 gal flomaster....don't use them that much...but they do seem to have plastic parts break more than once....I'd steer toward something else. This is one where you do get what you pay for IMO. I actually don't use them that much becuz I prefer the one gal spray versions of Weed B Gone etc...no mix...no having to label ..or separate.. no fuss..no cleanout...easy to use...toss when you are done. Sure you might pay a few pennies more...but not all that much and certainly worth the convenience.
Both my 1 gal and 3 gal ortho/roundup sprayers come with a brass tube with the dispenser and one brass nozzle. Some of the nozzles are plastic, but are probably for lower pressure applications.

Lowe's is having a sale on their 2 gal roundup sprayer this week.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
homeowner learning quick

Quote:
Both my 1 gal and 3 gal ortho/roundup sprayers come with a brass tube with the dispenser and one brass nozzle. Some of the nozzles are plastic, but are probably for lower pressure applications.

Lowe's is having a sale on their 2 gal roundup sprayer this week.
I will check out Lowes for sure. I most likely will keep the first one I got from HD just based on the price and that I threw out the box

Thanks for all the info eveyone
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
I will check out Lowes for sure. I most likely will keep the first one I got from HD just based on the price and that I threw out the box

Thanks for all the info eveyone
The good thing about this 2 gal model is that it comes with a relief valve, and has an extra nozzle.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_303984-1306-...CatalogDisplay
Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
homeowner learning quick

Quote:
The good thing about this 2 gal model is that it comes with a relief valve, and has an extra nozzle.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_303984-1306-...CatalogDisplay
I saw that today when I was checking it out. I probably pick that one up for the extra $8 it's probably worht it.

I also researched the different replacment tips and they are definitely almost as much as the $10 sprayer I got - about $6-7 per tip. Lots of spray patternes to choose from on this site

http://www.gemplers.com/iCatalog/master/s/352#view
Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
I saw that today when I was checking it out. I probably pick that one up for the extra $8 it's probably worht it.

I also researched the different replacment tips and they are definitely almost as much as the $10 sprayer I got - about $6-7 per tip. Lots of spray patternes to choose from on this site

http://www.gemplers.com/iCatalog/master/s/352#view
Your next step is probably a pressure washer.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
homeowner learning quick

I had to go the both Lowes and HD to do returns last night so I looked at the Round up sprayers. The one at Lowes was originally $19.99 so the sale was only $2 off. It was a deluxe sprayer with the side pressure release valve. I waited and looked at what HD had - their Round up sprayer was a "Heavy duty" version with the same hose, attachments, etc. The difference was the bottle seemed a bit more substantial and the pressure relief was built into the cap note a side valve. The price was the same $19.99. I tried to find link to the HD version but it isn't listed on their web site which I found a bit strange. They also had a 4-5 gallon RL Flo back pack sprayer on clearance for $49.99 down from $79.99. As tempting as that was I am not sure why I would need a back pack sprayer.

Not sure what I'll do - most likely I will get the HD heavy duty version

Quote:
Your next step is probably a pressure washer.
LOL you are dfinitely onto something. I looked at them last night when I was checking out the manual manual sprayers at HD. I can't justify the purchase right now though. Nothing around the house needs that type of cleaning (yet) and the cars go trhough the car wash. I'm sure at some point I will end up with one though
Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
I had to go the both Lowes and HD to do returns last night so I looked at the Round up sprayers. The one at Lowes was originally $19.99 so the sale was only $2 off. It was a deluxe sprayer with the side pressure release valve. I waited and looked at what HD had - their Round up sprayer was a "Heavy duty" version with the same hose, attachments, etc. The difference was the bottle seemed a bit more substantial and the pressure relief was built into the cap note a side valve. The price was the same $19.99. I tried to find link to the HD version but it isn't listed on their web site which I found a bit strange. They also had a 4-5 gallon RL Flo back pack sprayer on clearance for $49.99 down from $79.99. As tempting as that was I am not sure why I would need a back pack sprayer.

Not sure what I'll do - most likely I will get the HD heavy duty version

LOL you are dfinitely onto something. I looked at them last night when I was checking out the manual manual sprayers at HD. I can't justify the purchase right now though. Nothing around the house needs that type of cleaning (yet) and the cars go trhough the car wash. I'm sure at some point I will end up with one though
I don't think you need "heavy duty" anything unless you plan on becoming a landscape contractor....especially not a backpack version. Get the lowe's version...you won't regret it.

I do admit that a pressure washer is an indulgence...as I don't even use mine now...although I used to more when I had a deck and a house with vinyl siding.

Personally I would never use a pressure washer to wash a car.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
I don't think you need "heavy duty" anything unless you plan on becoming a landscape contractor....especially not a backpack version. Get the lowe's version...you won't regret it.

I do admit that a pressure washer is an indulgence...as I don't even use mine now...although I used to more when I had a deck and a house with vinyl siding.

There are some products the base level of which are generally inferior and so "buying up" is often a good idea. I have learned that is true of lawn mowers...with maybe one or two exceptions most anything sold at Lowe's or Home Depot is inferior in my opinion...so it's worth it to "buy up" and spend more to get a "commercial" grade at a dealer. Seems this is a similar phenomenon with sprayers...spend an extra $10 or $15 bucks and get something of decent quality...so called "heavy duty" or not. And I agree...a backpack sprayer is only needed if you are dealing with larger properties or true commercial use.

I know this is going a bit OT...but I find a pressure washer to be a very valuable thing to have. I don't wash my car with it either....but I don't know a better way...or even ANY other way ...to get my driveway, sidewalk, block walls, etc. clean the way I want them. My home is also brick veneer. I don't use it very frequently....but when I do I'm always glad I have it. And on those...be careful to get one that has all brass wherever water touches...otherwise you need to treat it every time you use it. Lastly, wife was in an Ace Hardware recently and guy said to NEVER use a pressure washer on a deck of any kind. Now I can see the problem with misusing it on a wood deck...removing wood fibers and all...but my deck is composite...don't see the harm with that...I think the guy was just trying to sell her some deck cleaner.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
homeowner learning quick

Quote:

I wish you hadn't mentioned that you used the pressure washer on your house with vinyl siding -- that is what our house has.............now I can almost gaurantee I will own one before the summer is out I definitely will wait a bit as I have been on a major power equipment bender over the last 6 weeks (new lawn mower, string trimmer, back pack blower, gardening tools, drill, driver, criular saw, recip saw) and need to let the bank account cool off a bit

The comment about washing a car with it came from talking with a friend who claims to use it on his car

Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
And I agree...a backpack sprayer is only needed if you are dealing with larger properties or true commercial use.
How many square feet is the point where you "Need" a back pack sprayer? I have about 15k square foot lot to deal with. I still don't think I will be getting a back pack but I am just curious