Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

basement flooding

During rainy season water floods into my basent. It floors through the floors and corners of the whole. I want advise on how to stop it

mollenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,474

basement flooding

Quote:
During rainy season water floods into my basent. It floors through the floors and corners of the whole. I want advise on how to stop it
Just tell it "NO" in a real forceful voice.

You aren't likely to stop it. Some more information would be real helpful tho.

Do you care to volunteer some information or do you need a list of questions?

Last edited by Bud Cline; 12-31-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

basement flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Just tell it "NO" in a real forceful voice.

You aren't likly to stop it. Some more information would be real helpful tho.

Do you care to volunteer some information or do you need a list of questions?
I ve hired a contractor to dig down where the water was oozing and he put concrete and waterproofing. The following week it rained and water found another spot in the basement floor to penetrated. Now I'm not sure if I close that one the water won't look for another sport
mollenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

basement flooding

This topic has been discussed at least a dozen times on this forum over the past two years. I suggest you search "French Drain", "perimeter drain", "wet basement" and similar to see what has been said. You will find threads on installation of exterior perimeter drains, interior perimeter drains, use of Drylok and similar paints, and sump pump installation. Design of an effective system requires careful analysis of the geometry of your house and the groundwater flow. This is going to require a site visit by a knowledgeable professional, but you can learn about alternatives from this forum.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,474

basement flooding

Usually the only hope is to manage the situation favorably. Landscaping and proper water management on the exterior is the first place to look to make some adjustments.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

basement flooding

Your weeping tiles may be clogged, and/or the seal around the basement walls is broken. I have similar issues with my basement, next summer if I have the money I'll be digging it all up and putting blueskin or similar product, and new weeping tile. The materials are not expensive, the labor is though. I'm still debating between doing it myself or contracting it out. It's a pretty big job especially if you don't have a truck.

Either way, the only way to truely fix the issue is from outside. Sloping helps to some degree, but idealy a foundation should be able to hold water out even if it's just sitting there. That's the idea behind it. The weeping tiles then drain it out.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,036

basement flooding

Do you have a weeping tile system? (If yes then there will almos always be a sump pump.)

If you need to install or re-install a weeping tile system usually it is easier and less expensive to install it on the inside perimeter of the basement and that almost always works satisfactorily.

The first order of business is to correct the landscaping and grading so water does not lap up against the foundation.

If the water table is higher than your basement floor and you seal one portion of the basement, then the water will definitely seek another location to seep up into.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-01-2012 at 08:11 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote