Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Happy to Help!

Share |

Bamboo Planters

I'm planning on building two or three ten foot long planter boxes to grow bamboo in to create a privacy screen along the side of my backyard. I will probably plant clumping bamboo and haven't selected a type but want it to grow as tall and dense as possible.

How deep should i make the planters for this purpose? Also, is there any special steps i need to take to prevent the bamboo from bursting out?

I cannot WAIT to reclaim my backyard for the summer, there's a wall of apartment windows looking directly onto it and it makes for an awkward private space.

peanutwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bamboo Planters

Aim for clumping types and not varieties that spread but you don't want to turn you back on them either. There are nice dwarf varieties but it will depend on your climate which will survive. I was partial to black bamboo species for landscapes. It was pricey though compared to other forms.

I use to specify any type of bamboo be planted in cylinders cut from pvc pipe 3-5' long and buried into the ground. You will want to go deeper with some species. The sleeves kept the bamboo from getting away from clients and PVC sleeves were cheaper than building redwood or treated lumber planter boxes. Make sure you get large enough diameter pipe that you can get a spade in to thin when it is time.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Happy to Help!

Bamboo Planters

Thank you very much for your help! My area is considered zone 10a/10b and most species of black bamboo will do very well here. Good advice on planting in pvc. My only concern is that I am leasing this house but I will check with the property management company to make sure it's okay for me to plant in the ground.

Hopefully I'll have a nice healthy screen by midsummer.
peanutwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bamboo Planters

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutwood View Post
Thank you very much for your help! My area is considered zone 10a/10b and most species of black bamboo will do very well here. Good advice on planting in pvc. My only concern is that I am leasing this house but I will check with the property management company to make sure it's okay for me to plant in the ground.

Hopefully I'll have a nice healthy screen by midsummer.
If management squirms about you planting black bamboo or something nice like it, in sleeves, in the ground? Make yourself some cheap PVC planters with squared off end caps (holes drilled in for drainage) and take the plants with you.

If you feel like it, you might want to update your profile to include general location.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
peanutwood (04-11-2012)