Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

backyard is looking awful

my parents backyard is increasingly looking worse each year. the rainwater run off and erosion of a hill in the backyard is causing the flat areas to barely grow grass. Moss is starting to grow widespread and the hill no longer grows grass either...i will take some pix tomorrow if its sunny.. its a 1/8 acre or less in the back maybe but grass used to grow everywhere..now grass grows on maybe 40% of the lawn..

the house will go on the market in under 2 years and there is so much potential for this lot which is close to 1/4 acre.. sorry pix will have to wait til tomororw or day after.. a little backwards but oh well.

flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

sorry for the ass backwards post..but here are the pix!
Attached Thumbnails
backyard is looking awful-p5130492.jpg   backyard is looking awful-p5130493.jpg   backyard is looking awful-p5130494.jpg   backyard is looking awful-p5130495.jpg   backyard is looking awful-p5130496.jpg  

backyard is looking awful-p5130497.jpg  

Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #3

some more...looks like they could use a little more light..the sun went behind some clouds when i took the pix today..i wont be around to take pix again til thursday.

thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
backyard is looking awful-p5130498.jpg   backyard is looking awful-p5130499.jpg   backyard is looking awful-p5130500.jpg   backyard is looking awful-p5130501.jpg  
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Looks like the sun is hiding behind the trees.

I live in SC and here we use Saint Augustine grass for shady lawns. It gross similar to centipede grass but does better in the shade.
kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashme18 View Post
my parents backyard is increasingly looking worse each year. the rainwater run off and erosion of a hill in the backyard is causing the flat areas to barely grow grass. Moss is starting to grow widespread and the hill no longer grows grass either...i will take some pix tomorrow if its sunny.. its a 1/8 acre or less in the back maybe but grass used to grow everywhere..now grass grows on maybe 40% of the lawn..

the house will go on the market in under 2 years and there is so much potential for this lot which is close to 1/4 acre.. sorry pix will have to wait til tomororw or day after.. a little backwards but oh well.
Probably need to thin out or remove trees. Also, on the slope, you may wish to either build a tiered retaining wall or just start putting in ivy. It'll be hard to grow grass on the slope b/c when you thin out the trees, and water the lawn, the water will always drain down.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #6

removing trees is not an option..thinning them maybe..but probably not either because that would involve a large cost to a tree company. These trees are 50-100 feet high. does anyone know how to get algae off a roof? i was up there today cleaning out the gutters and algae looking growth is up there. is there a chemical or something that can be sprayed?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashme18 View Post
removing trees is not an option..thinning them maybe..but probably not either because that would involve a large cost to a tree company. These trees are 50-100 feet high. does anyone know how to get algae off a roof? i was up there today cleaning out the gutters and algae looking growth is up there. is there a chemical or something that can be sprayed?
The backyard could be bad because of neglect.

Have you/they ever detached, aerated, seeded, and/or fertilized?

I would bring a lawn company in for a consultation, which is usually free. Call Lawn Doctor.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #8

my parents pay for a landscaper ..like 2000/yr...f'n ripoff...he aerated the lawn and reseeded..but throwing seed on top of hardened dirt isnt gonna grow grass..definitely neglected since i hadnt been living at home for 8 years..now im back (sigh) and i cant stand looking at a backyard that used to be full of green grass..i told my mom we need to rent a tiller and she says she doesnt want to make a mess...so neglect is the big winner! way to go mom..no one wants to buy a house with a ****ty backyard. o well..stubborn parents.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

1-You are not going to grow a lush, thick turf in the shade.
2-You have way too much shade on the lawn.
3-You have way too much shade on the house. (Algae)

If drastic tree thinning or removal isn't an option, clean the house, (which will be a 1-2x annual chore) and remove the grass and plant shade-loving plants like hosta, ivy, lilies, etc... and be prepared to fight slugs...
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #10

i have seen maybe one or 2 slugs in my entire life on this property. the major growth is moss. which rips up very easily. no other weeds are growing
Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #11

I totally agree that trying to grow a lush lawn just isn't gonna happen, but that doesn't mean you can't have a great back yard. Someone mentioned hostas,they are phenomenal in the shade,come in many varieties,and require very little maintainence.There are many other plants that will do well here too. Astilbe,ferns, trilliums,bleeding hearts,etc. Get yourself a book or Google woodland gardens.Those slopes could make a really cool waterfall/creek if you are so inclined.Again,do some research and get some ideas. Some might be a little envious of all that shade. As far as the moss goes you may be fighting two battles; the lack of sunlight( and henceforth moisture), and perhaps an acidic soil which can result from leaf decomposition. Have the soil tested for PH, a treatment of lime may be in order.
white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Take the money they pay the landscaper and have a synthetic lawn put in then you won't ever have to worry about up keep, thats what I'm going to do to my front and backyard.
ant7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
www.handyguyspodcast.com

Rewards Points: 25

We have lots of mostly shady lawns in my area that have great grass lawns. Before doing anything drastic, I would take a soil sample. You may need lime if it is too acidic. Then I would consider aerating/seeding and watering this fall. use seed appropriate for mostly shade. If you have any success with the new grass, I would consider aerating again in spring and apply fertilizer.

Thinning out trees may help as well but could get expensive.

Paul

borninpa is offline   Reply With Quote