Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #1

Share |

Backyard - Landscaping

I would like to do a simple and water friendly landscaping in the back.
Back yard is not big.

As you see the iron fence,from the fence I would like to leave 5 to 6 feet for vegetables.. rest of the area, I would like to put grass. I want to put a grass that does not require lot of water. Other options are also ok, if that makes looks simple and clean. Not looking for great looking as long as it looks clean and less maintenance and water friendly.

Thoughts ?
Attached Thumbnails
Backyard - Landscaping-img-20140209-00098.jpg   Backyard - Landscaping-img-20140209-00097.jpg   Backyard - Landscaping-img-20140209-00099.jpg   Backyard - Landscaping-img-20140209-00100.jpg   Backyard - Landscaping-img-20140209-00101.jpg  

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #2

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
I would like to do a simple and water friendly landscaping in the back.
Back yard is not big.

As you see the iron fence,from the fence I would like to leave 5 to 6 feet for vegetables.. rest of the area, I would like to put grass. I want to put a grass that does not require lot of water. Other options are also ok, if that makes looks simple and clean. Not looking for great looking as long as it looks clean and less maintenance and water friendly.

Thoughts ?
Any thoughts, please ?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #3

Backyard - Landscaping

I live near Lancaster and have similar issues (dead areas). I xeriscaped the front yard over the last few years using 1/2 inch sea scape gravel, 4x4 timbers and some bigger rocks. My backyard is much bigger and would cost way too much to do the same so I'm looking for inexpensive ways to xeriscape parts of the back yard. The difference is I live in a dessert region unlike your more temperate climate. One thing I'm going to look into is crushed granite. I'd probably rip the grass out and cover the yard leaving a few islands for low water plants. Maybe a stone walkway here or there. Covering 1000 square feet would cost about $400 if I DIY it.

Just me but until this drought fades I wouldn't think about planting grass. Concentrate on your veggy garden. I'm sure that's plenty of work throughout the year. If you insist on grass here's a little info: http://www.treehugger.com/clean-wate...ant-lawns.html

BTW - I hear the DWP is paying people to rip out their lawns in LA.

Last edited by IZZY123; 02-17-2014 at 05:27 PM.
IZZY123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY123 View Post
I live near Lancaster and have similar issues (dead areas). I xeriscaped the front yard over the last few years using 1/2 inch sea scape gravel, 4x4 timbers and some bigger rocks. My backyard is much bigger and would cost way too much to do the same so I'm looking for inexpensive ways to xeriscape parts of the back yard. The difference is I live in a dessert region unlike your more temperate climate. One thing I'm going to look into is crushed granite. I'd probably rip the grass out and cover the yard leaving a few islands for low water plants. Maybe a stone walkway here or there. Covering 1000 square feet would cost about $400 if I DIY it.

Just me but until this drought fades I wouldn't think about planting grass. Concentrate on your veggy garden. I'm sure that's plenty of work throughout the year. If you insist on grass here's a little info: http://www.treehugger.com/clean-wate...ant-lawns.html

BTW - I hear the DWP is paying people to rip out their lawns in LA.
Excellent. I just spoke to a landscaper yesterday and we have decided to the similar thing.
We are dividing the whole area into 5 sections (no grass at all).
1)One section either the corner near the fence to have sitting area with DG.
2) Walkway with DG (2 foot width) from the porch to 1) middle gate 2) corner area where steps are there 3) to the sitting area
3) rest all the sections are going to be small plants (maximum 1 ft height) or vegetables with drip system so that I conserve water.. and as well as less maintenance.

Any other thoughts to make it more better ?

any other thoughts ?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

Backyard - Landscaping

What no gazebo covered hot tub?
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
Excellent. I just spoke to a landscaper yesterday and we have decided to the similar thing.
We are dividing the whole area into 5 sections (no grass at all).
1)One section either the corner near the fence to have sitting area with DG.
2) Walkway with DG (2 foot width) from the porch to 1) middle gate 2) corner area where steps are there 3) to the sitting area
3) rest all the sections are going to be small plants (maximum 1 ft height) or vegetables with drip system so that I conserve water.. and as well as less maintenance.

Any other thoughts to make it more better ?

any other thoughts ?
Sounds great. Post some pics as you complete the areas. I'll do the same.

Gazebo? Hot tub? How about a kiddy pool and an umbrella.

Last edited by IZZY123; 02-18-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
Sounds great. Post some pics as you complete the areas. I'll do the same.

Gazebo? Hot tub? How about a kiddy pool and an umbrella.
Sure. I will be making little modification (still thinking), instead of one sitting area we may add two sitting areas on either side of the backyard near the fence.
I was trying to reduce the water usage as much as I can while still keeping the back yard cleaner and little colorful.

Again, I am not interested to make this as a great backyard as long as it looks cleaner and functional.

One question - Since I am planning to put DG, during the rain when you walk on the DG with barefoot or even with shoes, is there a lot of possibility that DG stick to our shoes and get into the house ? or it all depends on how well the DG is laid out ?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Backyard - Landscaping

I don't know what DG is. If you want to use as little water as possible (save for the vegetable garden) think THICK layers of mulch, which requires periodic replenishment as it decays and adds nutrients to the soil while preventing weeds and evaporation. Also, make sure your nursery knows you want indigenious plants that do well in your climate, steer clear of species that have water requirements not natural to your climate or soil. Since your vegetable garden is planned against the rear fence, consider a remote water faucet so that dragging out a hose daily doesn't become a chore - I think you mentioned drip irrigation so, they make neat battery operated water valves that will automatically turn your drip system on and off as per your programmed intervals.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

Backyard - Landscaping

Post #5. Now I can post links
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
I don't know what DG is.
DG stands for decomposed granite also known as crushed granite. I tried to post a link to pictures of a hundred or so examples of how it is used but the powers that be wouldn't let me post it. Sooo....Google "decomposed granite" then click on the "images of decomposed granite" link.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
One question - Since I am planning to put DG, during the rain when you walk on the DG with barefoot or even with shoes, is there a lot of possibility that DG stick to our shoes and get into the house ? or it all depends on how well the DG is laid out ?
Another good question. I've read it's best to get DG with a stabilizer. The stabilizer helps hold the DG together after rains. That said, I don't know how much that effects it sticking to shoes.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #12

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
I don't know what DG is. If you want to use as little water as possible (save for the vegetable garden) think THICK layers of mulch, which requires periodic replenishment as it decays and adds nutrients to the soil while preventing weeds and evaporation. Also, make sure your nursery knows you want indigenious plants that do well in your climate, steer clear of species that have water requirements not natural to your climate or soil. Since your vegetable garden is planned against the rear fence, consider a remote water faucet so that dragging out a hose daily doesn't become a chore - I think you mentioned drip irrigation so, they make neat battery operated water valves that will automatically turn your drip system on and off as per your programmed intervals.
Yes. I am planned to have ONLY drip irrigation operated by weather controlled timer.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #13

Backyard - Landscaping

Quote:
Another good question. I've read it's best to get DG with a stabilizer. The stabilizer helps hold the DG together after rains. That said, I don't know how much that effects it sticking to shoes.
Thank you. I was reading the same about DG on internet today..

As you said DG with stabilizer holds things together but if you add resign it will be much more stronger.

I don't know what my landscaper is planned to do it so I need to get a clarification on this from my landscaper.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #14
Mr

Backyard - Landscaping

Great tips..Well, Adding walls and paths to your landscape transforms it into something truly special..

MikoMcGreg is offline   Reply With Quote