Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #1

Share |

backyard improvement

Hi, wanted to get some ideas/feedback on how to improve my backyard, and how hard it would be to do.
Right now as you can see it is kind of cluttered.
Thanks

fatlittlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

backyard improvement

Four questions to think about:

1)Where are you located?
How-To Add or Edit Your Location

2)What do you want to do back there? Party Patio? Kids play area? Dogs?

3)How much maintenance do you want to do?

4) Budget?

The first thing I would suggest is drive around your neighborhood and steal some ideas of what you would like.

Last edited by Blondesense; 10-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #3

backyard improvement

I wish my yard looked that nice.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to operagost For This Useful Post:
DexterII (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

backyard improvement

I don't have a budget but would like to try and do it myself I don't have any experience landscaping but I would like to get rid of all the small bushes (leaving the trees) and then have grass, I would leave the stones there. Just wondering how involved that would be and if I could do it myself. I think it would look much cleaner and nicer. Thanks
fatlittlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

backyard improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlittlepig View Post
I don't have a budget but would like to try and do it myself I don't have any experience landscaping but I would like to get rid of all the small bushes (leaving the trees) and then have grass, I would leave the stones there. Just wondering how involved that would be and if I could do it myself. I think it would look much cleaner and nicer. Thanks
Pulling up the smaller plants shouldn't be a problem.
But it would be a good idea to call your utility co. to make sure there is nothing buried in the area before you start with a shovel.

It looks pretty shady back there. It may take a bit of research to find a grass that would work.

Again, when asking about plants and landscape it is important to know where you are. No one here can make any reasonable suggestions without knowing at least what state you are in!

Lastly, if you don't want plants to maintain, you might want to add a birdbath, sculpture, or some sort of focal point so you don't end up with weird little paths to nowhere.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

backyard improvement

I thought that a "cluttered backyard" meant separate piles for top soil, sand, and gravel, neatly stacked pallets of bricks, pavers, and assorted concrete features, some apple trees that need pruning (again!), a skid steer or backhoe that didn't get pulled into the barn, a clean but basic picnic table, and an assortment of normal old every day trees. Honest, it's neat, clean, practical, purposeful, and mostly out of view from the road, but a lot close to "cluttered" than yours! Seriously though, yours looks very nice. But I could agree with eliminating some of the taller vegetation, to open it up a bit. I think though that it would take some special grass to do well with the shade, not to mention the tranquility lost in mowing it. I believe that I would look at some varieties of ground cover, maybe mix in some small, randomly placed sections of pavers, and, as previously mentioned, add a few bird baths, water features, etc. Things that would fall below a normal direct sight line.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote