Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

Share |

Backyard Drainage Issue

I have a drainage problem that may be easily solved but I don't know the best solution.

Problem: I had a patio installed in my backyard which is about 1 foot higher than the bottom of my Bilco door that opens to basement. When it rains, water comes in through the bottom of the door, which is not watertight seal. The raised patio is about 2 feet away from the door opening so sloping the grade away from the door is not possible. I have a new 8'x4' drywell about 8' away with a gutter downspout line 4' away from door underground. There are garden beds on either side of the door that match the elevation of the patio. I was thinking about edging off both gardens, diigging out the area in front of door (approx 2'x4') but don't know how deep, installing some type of drain in cement or something, trenching to the gutter downspout running underground 4' away and "T-connecting" to it. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is the right solution.

Would appreciate any advice.

bobssurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Backyard Drainage Issue

i am trying to visualize your layout, but something isn't clicking for me.

This might be a lot less involved than drains in concrete. Take a ride to Lowes or Depot, do to the plumbing section and look for the section where they sell 4" corrugated pipe. in this same section the sell long drains, 4 or 5 inches wide, and 2 feet long. Could you stick a couple of these inbetween your patio and doors, flush with the ground, and let them carry the water away through pipe buried just below the surface, into an underground pit of river rock so it leaches into the soil on the other side of your yard

Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #3

Backyard Drainage Issue

Your drain idea is what I'm thinking too, but shouldn't the drain be set in concrete or gravel and not the dirt? I have to consider the fact that one must step onto the drain when entering or exiting the door. Is it possible to post a picture on this site to provide you with a viaual? Tx!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #4

Backyard Drainage Issue

Yes, you can post a pic on this site as an attachment
or hosted on a site like photobucket
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
DIY Hack

Backyard Drainage Issue

sure, you could set it in concrete, but you could really set it in, dirt, stone or sand

honestly, you could just dig a trench a foot or so deep, going from the front of you door, to where ever you want it to drain. make sure you pitch the trench as needed. line the trench with a double layer of 6 mil plastic, cover the plastic with a couple inches of sand, put in some landscape fabric over the sand, then backfill to grade a bed of crushed marble, river rock or pea gravel. this would give you the drainage you need, but would eliminate the need for undergound drains and piping
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

Backyard Drainage Issue

Thanks for advice! Mr Chips, your idea sounds good to me not having to go to drywell. It just might be all the drainage I need in this spot. I will attempt to post a pic when I get home tonight to help visualize. I'm looking for asthetics (i.e. I want it to look nice too).
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Backyard Drainage Issue

Couldn't post a pic last night. Got home after dark. Will take some pics as soon as I can. Does anyone have any pics, links or procedures on installing any of these types of drains?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #8

Backyard Drainage Issue

Here are a few pics to illustrate. Tried to show the depth at different angles. Any further thoughts/Ideas/questions? Much appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Backyard Drainage Issue-backyard-renovation-077.jpg   Backyard Drainage Issue-backyard-renovation-076.jpg   Backyard Drainage Issue-backyard-renovation-075.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #9

Backyard Drainage Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobssurfin View Post
I was thinking about edging off both gardens, diigging out the area in front of door (approx 2'x4') but don't know how deep, installing some type of drain in cement or something, trenching to the gutter downspout running underground 4' away and "T-connecting" to it. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is the right solution.
I'd dig a trench, put in #2 stone add a 4" perforated pipe ~6" below the door height, covered in decorative rocks and tie this line into your downspout. Slope pipe 1/8"-1/4" per foot and use a wye to tie into the existing line.

Your grade at the house is too high.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Texasclk

Backyard Drainage Issue

The perforated pipe drain will work under normal rain occurrences given the drain is sloped properly to a lower elevation. I would also recommend extending the downspouts below ground in solid pipe to the same location as the perforated pipe outlet. Having the downspouts in a separate system will help in the event of heavy rains. The two systems are separate.
Texasclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #12

Backyard Drainage Issue

Thanks for replies. I kinda like the idea of a concrete catch basin beneath the door, say 4' wide by 2' deep, with a drainpipe at bottom sloped directly into the new drywell about 6' away, fill with gravel, place a filter fabric/grate on top of gravel, then finish fillling with gravel on top of filter and grade/mulch around as best as possible.

I'd rather pipe right to drywell instead of connecting to gutter downspout for 2 reasons: 1. I'm not sure of the exact slope of the underground gutter drainpipe and don't want to dig up the nice sod to find out. It may not even be sloped enough to connect where I need to, and 2. I agree that there would be better flow with two separate drainpipes.

Additional thoughts/resources welcome!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #13

Backyard Drainage Issue

I did exactly what "47__47" suggested. So far, so good!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #14

Backyard Drainage Issue

You are welcome bobssurfin and thanks for the feed back. Do not cover the stone. The runoff water must be able to hit the pipe to work.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #15

Backyard Drainage Issue

Thanks. It's filled with gravel and I'm going to top off with some 3/4-1" white marble chips.