Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Share |

backyard drainage

I have some drainage issues in my backyard so this spring i am going to install a french drain system. I also am going to install a concrete patio do i need to install the piping under the concrete or will the base be enough to deal with the water.

Canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

backyard drainage

Ayuh,... Not enough Info....

Generally speakin',... It's easier to deal with water, Before it gets to the pad, rather than after, or under the pad...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

backyard drainage

You might not need a French drain if you can regrade the land about your house.

A French drain is installed around the perimeter of your house foundation at foundation footing level. If you do not have wet basement problems you can probably procrastinate on installing one.

If you want to you can "futureproof" the house by installing a portion of a French drain along the side of the house where the patio will be installed. This way you won't have to break of the patio to install a French drain at a later date. (French drains can also be installed just inside the foundation by breaking up the basement floor if it is too cumbersome to dig up just outside.)

Note that a French drain is meant to collect ground water to be sump-pumped out away from the house. It is not meant to pour gutter water or surface water into; a similar or identical system for the latter purpose is called a leach field.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-06-2011 at 08:50 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote