Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

Backyard Design Shade Help

First i will post a few pics of the area in question asap..... i have a back concrete patio area coming off a L shaped back door...it faces direct south/southwest exposure so it gets pretty hot back there....bout 12 feet off the patio is a hot-tub with a pergola over it...im planning on building a low level deck off the one side(you'll see when pics are up) for extra room...Im in serious need off some "major" advise and help for what to do over the concrete patio area? i like the "sunken" living area aspect but what to do for shade to tie it into what has already been established.....I hope i can get some serious deck design gurus to help me out...(pics will be up asap) thanks guys

zoolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I will wait for the pics to see what you have. Meanwhile, where are you in general terms. It will help with comments to know what your year round climate is like. Can you update your profile for us?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

I live in Southern Ontario and here are the pics provided.....Pic on the right i was thinking of putting a low level deck on that side of the tub for the BBQ and maybe a bar area, the pic on the left which you dont see by the green bin are 2 sheds,white door accesses the garage ,back door is right of that . The window well and cover is a big pain which takes away that area of use...LIke i said it gets All Day Sun facing South-Southwest..being L shaped we get zero breeze from the north or east. Thought of also putting in a fireplace (chimney ones) right where the love seat is just centered more...Again would love to hear some great other ideas to tie this whole thing together
Attached Thumbnails
Backyard Design Shade Help-img_1256-fileminimizer-.jpg   Backyard Design Shade Help-img_1257-fileminimizer-.jpg  

Last edited by zoolou; 05-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
DIY-er

Looks like an interesting project. I'm thinking you could try a two-level deck around the hot tub. The first level would be 18" high, and the second would be level with the hot tub. Where the deck is level with the hot tub, this would allow you to sit back and put your drinks on the deck while you are enjoying the hot tub. The higher deck would be at the back, and the shorter deck at the front. This would give a transition to your existing concrete patio.

My wife's a landscape architect, and she says not to combine the bar with the deck around the pool, and to try to have long, wrap-around stairs to the 18" high deck - this provides an informal sitting area and a grand entrance to the hot tub.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #5

the only problem with that is the height of the pergola wouldnt give you much space between deck and the top of the pergola(if im understanding you correctly)
Old 05-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
DIY-er

Yes, you are correct. I think it would be easier to remove the pergola and start again, especially if you want to have a deck around the hot tub. Assuming that the hot tub stays where it is to keep the cost down, you could build a new shade structure that goes partially over the existing patio and another one for the hot tub. This is a complicated design and includes a lot of elements (hot tub, pergola, bar, fireplace). You might want to get out the sketch paper and start playing around with the overall design, if you haven't already done so.

Do you have and use Google Sketchup? It used to be free, but now you have to pay for it. My wife uses it for all of her design work. It is quick and easy to learn if you have some knowledge of basic mapping, measuring and layout techniques. You can get a 3D view of your design. You also might try a number of other landscape 3D software programs, many of which are cheaper than Google Sketchup. I have used the Master landscape series by Punch, and there are many more advertised online.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

Taking down the existing pergola wont be a option at this stage...want to work around that....Im not sure how another structure on the concrete patio would look(one of those 10x12 shelters they sell at costco or sams club) or if it would look to busy...Other options for shade are either a giant offset umbrella or a retractable awning which im sure would prove to be quite costly
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

Try shade sails they come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Here is mine over my pond, I've had them for 5 years.

JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #9

thats a different idea.....how much did that run you and where in Canada would you find that?? How do they withstand up to the elements?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Newbie Bill

http://www.shadesailscanada.com/

Here is one website I found. Looks like they may be more into commercial projects but worth a look.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 05-31-2012 at 11:38 AM.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Shade sails can be a great and flexible (forgive the pun). It takes 3 or 4 posts for most areas of any shape and a bunch of cables.

In snow areas where the area is rarely used in the winter, you just unclip the hardware and store the sails.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #12

How do they withstand up to the wind?? I get some pretty nasty winds on occasion in my area, so would that have to be removed on a daily basis?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
DIY-er

Shade sails are used in many playgrounds, so I assume they are designed to withstand the wind or else the city would not use them. You could check it out by going on a manufacturer's website and looking at the specifications.