Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Backfill for my Foundation

So this past weekend we decided to excavate part of our foundation as we suspected that the weeping tile was in poor shape and decided while we were at it might as well waterproof the walls. As we suspected the weeping tile was very badly silted and will need replacing. The soil around my house is primarily clay and silt and I know that this allows for poor drainage down to the weeping tile. My Question is when we decide to backfill would it be advantageous to bring in a load of sand for right up against the foundation (may 3 feet out) and then backfill the rest with the native soil or just backfill with the clay that we took out of the hole? Home is about 27 years old poured concrete foundation.

jwatson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatson15 View Post
So this past weekend we decided to excavate part of our foundation as we suspected that the weeping tile was in poor shape and decided while we were at it might as well waterproof the walls. As we suspected the weeping tile was very badly silted and will need replacing. The soil around my house is primarily clay and silt and I know that this allows for poor drainage down to the weeping tile. My Question is when we decide to backfill would it be advantageous to bring in a load of sand for right up against the foundation (may 3 feet out) and then backfill the rest with the native soil or just backfill with the clay that we took out of the hole? Home is about 27 years old poured concrete foundation.
You want clean gravel or stone not sand,i'll post a link on how to go about the repair,and you don't have to use clay tile,plastic perforated pipe will work just fine.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/lay-per...les-21195.html

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ayuh,.... I agree, fine clean stone or gravel, then capped with the native soils, compacted, to shed the surface water,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #4

Using atleast 6 inches of stone between the foundation wall and your native soil was my understanding of what I should do originally however backfilling with sand was recommended to me by the sales manager at a construction store I was shopping for materials at. His argument for sand vs stone was that stone would be to abrasive to put up against the platon I was nailing to the wall.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatson15 View Post
Using atleast 6 inches of stone between the foundation wall and your native soil was my understanding of what I should do originally however backfilling with sand was recommended to me by the sales manager at a construction store I was shopping for materials at. His argument for sand vs stone was that stone would be to abrasive to put up against the platon I was nailing to the wall.

He should find a new calling,the membrane your using will be just fine with stone or gravel against it,you should never use sand as it holds water,use the tutorial i attached and have at it.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

One more vote for clear stone. The platon material was developed to be backfilled with stone, not sure what the salesman is talking about. You also need more than 6", generally the absolute minimum is 12" over and on the side of the tile. A few feet is even better, and a filter fabric over the stone so the soil doesn't infiltrate is also a good idea..........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #7

Thanks a lot everyone.... Feeling more confident going into it now.... I'm thinking ill incase the weeping tile in a 12" wide by 18" high pile of 3/4" clear crush, wrapped in landscaping fabric and backfill with the clay/silt I took out of the hole. Cheers!