Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Share |

Back Yard issues

My back yard slopes from the house and deck, all the way to the fence.

I always get standing water when it rains in the areas where the grass is dead. My to dogs (see picture one) have killed the whole fence line.

I am thinking that a flower bed that runs the full length of the yard, along with well placed pampas grass to boot, will hide the fence bottom, and soak up the water much better.

I will attach pictures for you to see the layout of the yard. Let me know any advice or opinions you have!

THanks!

oefootball_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Back Yard issues

Here is the design I am thinking about. You can see the phases, forget about the dog run. I am planning on just extending the flower bed the full 70 foot.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Back Yard issues

First of all, good on you for tackling this issue. May not be advise or options, but I have some more questions/concerns you may want to consider before taking on such a project.

1. What's behind the back fence that stopping the water from draining? Or is it just the compacted areas that the dogs are running that is collecting water?
2. If you create a raised flower bed, I foresee two 'possible' problems; i. the soil not 'soaking up' the water but rather becoming mud soup. ii. the water may just collect in front of the raised flower bed (almost being stuck in a valley) and create the same problem you're currently facing.

Above are just the first ideas that come to my head.

May I suggest that you first attempt to rid the water in the first place. Maybe a sunked 'drainage well' or 'weeping tile' would help solve the water problem.
Huck2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #4

Back Yard issues

It pools up in the dead area. Behind the fence is the same issue.

As far as a ground trench goes, are you talking about a French drain?? I am going to have a ton of issues with the neighborhoods power box in the corner of the pictures you see there.

Would it be effective 7-8 ft from the fence? Or is that too far away from my trouble area?

Thanks !
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Back Yard issues

Hi Oefootball 70, yes I was thinking french drain/weeping tile. Is it another neighbour behind the fence? If not, I'd go back there and move some dirt around to see if you could encourage better drainage.

If you are considering a french drain 7-8' from the fence, you could make it work if you sloped the ground at the fence towards the french drain. For instance, if you can put in a french drain 8' from the fence, add 1' off soil against the fence (if possible) and drain the water towards the french drain. Just suggestions to help with the brain-storming.

You could even put a 'catch basin' right at the fence to help with drainage. This would involve digging a 4'x4' basin and filling with gravel, this would help dispurse it through the ground.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Back Yard issues

I could also suggest Aerating your lawn. It looks like the soil is compacted (likely by dogs) which may be preventing the rain from absorbing in your lawn; aerating would help this. If your lawn can absorb more rain before it drains to the back, you may have less pooling.

Quick/easy/cheaper sollution to consider before taking on a bigger project.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Back Yard issues

Huh. Don't even consider that. Is it too late in the spring to do that?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #8

Back Yard issues

I wouldn't think so, where I am I wouldn't usually even consider aerating for a few more weeks until the soil dries out. The melting snow leaves the soil fairly damp until May.

You can rent an aerator from HomeDepot for probably $50/day. Maybe even split the cost with some neighbours.