Audit your riding mower deck this spring
I suspect few of us give much thought to the deck, even though that's where all the real work is done!
I'm posting this in case it might inspire some of you to check out your mower deck this spring and make any adjustments it might need to get you off to a good start. It's not hard work and it feels great to know that everything's greased up and properly adjusted.
I decided to replace my riding mower blades with new mulching blades and install a mulching cover (didn't have one). I also ordered a new deck belt, as I noticed mine was junk.
This morning I removed the deck, cleaned everything out and greased the blade towers.
The new belt went on easy, as did the blades.
Using the owners manual that I downloaded I discovered that I should adjust the belt tension and then the pulley brakes. One of my brakes was actually dragging! Both procedures were pretty easy.
While I was down there, I noticed that the right side of the deck was about 1/2" lower than the left! Fixed that.
Total time: 3 hours.