Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which Mower Would You Buy?
Poll Options
Which Mower Would You Buy?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #1

Share |

Ariens or Craftsman Riding Mower?

Hi There,

I am trying to decide between two riding mowers, contestants are as follows:
1) Ariens A20BH42
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

2) Crafstman YT3000
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...aftsman+yt3000

The lawn is half an acre, but I don't have a lot of free time to mow with a walk-behind mower and I have a bad back. Their are 6-7 large trees on the lot, with some roots at ground level. There are some uneven and sloppy areas, but for the most part its pretty level.
I intend to also use it to deal with the carpet of leaves, pine needles, and pine cones that blanket my lot every year. If anyone knows if a lawn sweeper will pick pine cones up that would help.
At some point I may get a snow plow for it.

I am certainly leaning towards one of these mowers but I don't want to color anyones opinion. The main difference between the two in terms of specs is the ariens is a vtwin with a 42" deck, and the craftsman is single cylinder with a 46" deck. The price is the same for both.

Which would you buy in my situation and why?

Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #2

i wouldn't base the purchase on the engines they are both pretty comparable in performance,id go for the ariens for the cut in reverse feature

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Hi There,

I am trying to decide between two riding mowers, contestants are as follows:
1) Ariens A20BH42
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

2) Crafstman YT3000
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...aftsman+yt3000

The lawn is half an acre, but I don't have a lot of free time to mow with a walk-behind mower and I have a bad back. Their are 6-7 large trees on the lot, with some roots at ground level. There are some uneven and sloppy areas, but for the most part its pretty level.
I intend to also use it to deal with the carpet of leaves, pine needles, and pine cones that blanket my lot every year. If anyone knows if a lawn sweeper will pick pine cones up that would help.
At some point I may get a snow plow for it.

I am certainly leaning towards one of these mowers but I don't want to color anyones opinion. The main difference between the two in terms of specs is the ariens is a vtwin with a 42" deck, and the craftsman is single cylinder with a 46" deck. The price is the same for both.

Which would you buy in my situation and why?

I just purchased this Ariens mower and I live on a 1/2 acre of land. My front yard is really steep so I wanted to go with something that had at least 20HP. After doing a fair amount of research I chose the Ariens. There were a few reasons why. They get very solid reviews from the people that own them. Craftsman reviews were all over the place.

The other reason I went with the Ariens is because even though the Craftsman has a 21 horse motor, it runs on a single cylinder. The Ariens is a V-Twin and I wanted to buy something that would have a longer engine life. I basically thought it was more logical since the twin cylinder will run cooler and not have to work as hard, that it would probably last longer...especially considering I have to drive up and down a hill.

Overall I'm beyond happy with my purchase. I bought the bagger on Amazon for $249 and didn't have to pay tax and got free 2 day delivery. If you haven't already made your purchase, I'd say go with the Ariens. The cut is phenomenal, the hydrostatic transmission works like a charm and the reverse is slick too. If I get 10-15 years out of this mower and it continues working like it does so far, I'll be replacing it with another Ariens.
Jdorf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #4

I have an Ariens snow thrower and just love the brand.

It's made in the USA.

Consider also their zero turn radius models.

Last edited by handy man88; 04-20-2010 at 08:48 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ariens, craftsman, mower, riding, tractor