Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Argentine Bahia/ leech field

I like the idea of Argentine Bahia for my Ft Myers FL lawn. But it has a deep root system and my leech field is right in the middle of my front lawn.

Would the root system be problematic with the leech field? I did a search and came up with very little.

Is there a good place to look for this info?
JIm

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I shouldn't think the roots of bahia grass would hurt your leech field and in fact it might even be helpful in terms of stabilizing the area and reducing any flooding or run-off once graded. Planting shallow rooted shrubs and ornamental grasses, and reducing your turfgrass would be another option. You do want to avoid aggressive rooted trees that could cause havoc with your leech drains. Here is one article I found for you that might be helpful.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic1726.html

Just remember to be careful with chemicals that would wack the Ph of the leech field and that the field will shift the Ph of the soil too so at least a home test kit should be in your future.

I hope you know the layout of your leech field and how deep the pipes are buried. You do want to be careful running a heavy lawn tractor over them if they were installed too shallow.

Obviously, there are some real advantages to cutting back the amount of high maintenance turfgrass. Xerescaping, the use of naturally adaptive plants, is becoming very popular and I even see it in real estate descriptions. Droughts are with us for many years to come now I fear and cutting back on turf in favor of more climate tolerant plants that can be watered in gallons per hour, not gallons per minute, with drip irrigation just makes sense on a lot of levels. Turf is the most expensive landscape element to take care of properly so decide on how much you really need and want to take care of on continuing basis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping

Last edited by user1007; 06-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

http://www.gardenguides.com/138075-a...hia-grass.html

I'm in Volusia Co and everyone around here is on septic and has Pensacola bahia grass.

The basic thing I've read about the diff in the 2 bahias is pensacola is more cold tolerant. I had 3 freezes last winter. It sounds like the Argentine would look nicer tho.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses! JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote