Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

anyone in lower states getting ready to swap to rye grass for the winter?

Any advice given would be huuuuugely appreciated here!

I'll share what I've gathered, but please don't take this as gospel as half of it is from big box employees and my own researching, not from experience or true pros.

It seems it's time to overseed your summer grass (I'm overseeding my bermudagrass here in central FL soon) when the temperature highs are in the 83-85 degree range.

Before making the swap to rye for the winter, you'll mow your lawn very low, and then overseed it with rye (ideally you'd till before putting the rye down, but I don't see how that wouldn't hurt my bermudagrass, so I'm not gonna till! The summer grasses, I believe pretty much all of them, will not die at this time of year, but rather go dormant, and come back in the spring when the rye grass starts dying).

So, coming up pretty soon, my game plan is
- mow bermudagrass real low
- overseed with ryegrass (I'm using an annual ryegrass seed)
- lay down some peat/compost mix on top of the rye grass, just as an amendment (and cuz it beats raking it into the lawn!)
- spread fertilizer and water it in
- keep moist while it's becoming established, then 1 or 2 heavier waterings per week

If anyone else is making the swap, or knows about this kind of thing, any advice, tips, whatever woudl be greatly appreciated!

(Oh! I should note that if my grass was st. augustine, I would be doing a weed/feed application right now. I declined to do one because the weed poison is different for bermudagrass, and seemed like it would still be toxic for days after application, which I'm not close to comfortable with lol!)

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Eibwen

Up here in Virginny the local guy is saying now is the time to do exactly what you have planned. Just been sooooo dry here lately that everybody has to water extra if ya put seed down.

Aerate, seed, starter fetilizer, and covering for the bare spots.. Then water like crazy for a few weeks.

Me I'm giving up til spring cause where I gotta seed is gonna be covered with leaves in about three weeks from the tree.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Up here in Virginny the local guy is saying now is the time to do exactly what you have planned. Just been sooooo dry here lately that everybody has to water extra if ya put seed down.

Aerate, seed, starter fetilizer, and covering for the bare spots.. Then water like crazy for a few weeks.

Me I'm giving up til spring cause where I gotta seed is gonna be covered with leaves in about three weeks from the tree.
hmmm I wonder if I'll have that problem... I have a huuuuge tree in my backyard. < I recently moved from MA to FL to buy my first house, so I don't know much about the seasonal stuff here yet >
Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

We've done a heavy winter rye lawn for 30 years here in the mid-Atlantic area with great results.
All that we've ever done is just spread the seed with a drop seed speader along the edges and with a broadcast spreader in the wider areas, and then water the heck out of it for a few weeks. No fertilizer at the same time. Aeration sometime.
However, this year, we're in a "severe drought" in our county with an "extreme drought" area into the county next to us, so in the interest of water conservation (although no restrictions here in the watery northeastern NC, but...), we're going to forego it this year.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
What's a "Tool?"

Rewards Points: 10

Just a suggestion - after cutting the bermuda short - now might be a good time to de-thatch it, before seeding the rye. It will give the rye more room to grow in fully, and in the spring, the bermuda will fill in any bare areas the de-thatching might have left.

A good (but not perfect) way to tell when it's time to overseed is when the low temperature at night gets below 65 for two weeks.

If you're not sure, call a local golf course and ask them when they've scheduled their overseeding.
AZJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #6

okay, within the next few days I'm going to make the switch, but have a couple remaining questions!! My general approach is to selectively spray (concentrated roundup) on some of the weed patches, do the short mow, then overseed rye, then lightly top dress.

This is my order, is it proper:
1) do the spot roundup before the mow to avoid spreading weed seeds
2) during the 3 day window of roundup, do my very short lawn mow
3) once roundup's cleared, overseed with my rye
4) cover rye with a thin top coat, but not sure what exactly

My thoughts for top coat are basically a peat moss/bagged top soil / compost mixture.

Does this sound right?
Main points of concern are the top coat, and when to do the roundup in relation to the mowing/overseeding..
Old 10-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
What's a "Tool?"

Rewards Points: 10

I think the top dressing might be a bit of overkill.
Just keep the seeds/soil moist, and it should do just fine - you should see grass coming up in 10 days or so.

AZJD is offline   Reply With Quote