Any Practical Way To Remove A Hedge Fence? Beginner Here - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Any practical way to remove a hedge fence? Beginner here

I am a 30 year old male. My grandmother wants a hedge fence removed. However, she was quoted a price of $400-too high for her in today's economy. I am a novice..I am not sure if there is any practical way for me to remove it myself. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jim

Advertisement

jamesrwrightiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

when you say "hedge fence" is this just a grouping of boxwoods or something growing that makes a divider or boundry?

Advertisement

Mr Chips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
when you say "hedge fence" is this just a grouping of boxwoods or something growing that makes a divider or boundry?
It is sort of both. The property it borders is an alleyway which is owned by the borough. There is no private property on the other side of the fence-just the public property and they do not care if the hedge fence is removed.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

Tie a chain or cable around it near the roots,hook it to the frame on your car/truck and pull!
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
Tie a chain or cable around it near the roots,hook it to the frame on your car/truck and pull!

that's my suggestion as well, except use a woven tow strap instead of a chain or steel cable if you can get your hands on one. it's a lot safer if you pull too hard and it comes flying through the air and hits your rear window!!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #6

Could I damage my frame? Or will the rope break before anything like that happens?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, some cars are not up to pulling some hedges out
And depending upon what you hook it to you could do damage to any vehicle
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

Yea,
Although some cars have a hook up spot for towing,full frames are a thing of the past.Maybe you should borrow a truck,4WD preferably,and pull gently,don't try and yank it out.
Depending on the species of hedge,the roots shouldn't be too deep,so have someone watch(at a safe distance)for signs that the hedge is pulling out and apply just enough power to keep it moving.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
TooledUp

Rewards Points: 25

Definately agree with everyone. You can pull them out with your car/truck. Preferably a truck. Depending on how big it is you could always get a chainsaw, cut them down to nothing at the base, and then dig the root base out. If they are not too big it shouldnt be too hard because there roots shouldnt be too big.
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 264

If you have something to anchor it to a come along should do the trick and it allows a little more control and allows you do dig aroung the roots a little if necessary. If you use a tree be sure to protect the trunk.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

You did not say how long this hedge is- just for asking. It seems that you do not have a truck. Another option might be to go to a Home Depot or other home store with a rental department. Rent one of their hourly delivery trucks for a couple of hours. Most of the ones I have seen are in the 1 ton size, or least a 3/4 ton. That should be plenty strong enough for your needs and then you can load the shrubs onto the truck. The idea of digging around the shrubs to loosen them is also a good thought. You might check into renting a walk behind trencher (ditch-witch) with the truck. I presume the hedge is in a row and the digging would be sooooo much easier that way than by hand with a shovel. Just cut down beside the shrubs, at least on your side, both sides if you can get to it. I would also recommend calling a utility locator (required by law) beforehand.

Or you could just cut them flush with the ground with a chainsaw and pour Roundup (straight, not diluted) on the stumps immediately after.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
DIY Hack

Another tip/trick is to take a towel, blanket or even a sweatshirt and put it over the chain / cable/strap somewhere around the center point between the truck and bush.

This will absorb the energy in the event the rope or whatever you are using snaps under pressure. We used to do this back in the day when we were pulling our Jeeps out of the mud or sand. this trick has saved me a lot of vehicle damage
Old 08-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

What is the need for pulling out the bushes( hedge), why not just cut them down?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
What is the need for pulling out the bushes( hedge), why not just cut them down?

depending on what it is, often times they grow back. plus then you have a bunch of "razor stubble" with the left over stumps. Low Class
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrwrightiii View Post
Could I damage my frame? Or will the rope break before anything like that happens?

depends on what you use. if you use a piece of clothesline, or some twisted swingset chain, it will break before you do any harm. if you use anything more substantial, the potential for frame damage is there, but with shrubs it's proabably a fairly low risk.

whatever you use, keep in mind my suggestion to toss a blanket, towel or jacket over your line. it's a no cost precaution that really works

Advertisement