Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |

Another - Preparing Surface For Reseeding

I have about 250 square feet that I am re-seeding. The area I am re-seeding had little topsoil, plenty of clay, and up against an East-West fence that blocks a lot of sunlight. Some areas had high levels of wild grasses, and some parts had a hard time growing anything but moss. I have killed off the existing grass with Roundup. I have sliced off the existing sod ( the hard way - with a shovel, not a sod-cutter). My plan is to add more topsoil, fertilize, and re-seed with a shade blend seed.
Right now, the old sod is sliced off, but all sitting on top of the area to be re-seeded. There is a fair amount of soil clinging to the sod. I don't like the idea of disposing of the old sod with my precious topsoil. My plan was to let it dry out, and shake off the dirt from the sod so I keep the soil. That plan isn't going so well, however. Its drying out rather slowly, and the dirt does not shake off so easily.
What are the opinions out there:
Should I just pour new topsoil over the old sod?
Should I dispose of the old sod and topsoil, and just buy more new topsoil?
One of my concerns with leaving the old sod, is that some of those wild grasses may not be 100% dead, and with twice daily watering when I re-seed, may come back

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
DIY Hack

leave the old sod, add topsoil. you're gonna get weeds regardless, there is weed seed mixed in with grass seed anyway. keep it simple

Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

"leave the old sod, add topsoil. you're gonna get weeds regardless, there is weed seed mixed in with grass seed anyway. keep it simple"

That's about it.

You might consider:
1. Rent a walk-behind aerator to help loosen up the soil a little extra.
2. Flip that old sod over, roots and whatever soil is left on there facing up. Presuming that you successfully killed the old vegetation, that will help add a little organics to what I understand here is poor soil. If in doubt, apply another treatment of glyphosate. Sorry for smirking about "My plan was to let it dry out, and shake off the dirt from the sod so I keep the soil. That plan isn't going so well,." Maybe you didn't see me.
3. Throw a light dose of "starter" fertilizer. I like a 5-10-10 or 6-12-12.
4. Cover with your new topsoil.
5. Don't forget to cover with straw.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
DIY'er

Working in a few bundles of peat moss works very well when starting grass seed. There are directions on the bags of peat for seeding new lawn.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

Responses from the forum came in pretty slow, so at this point, I have pulled the old sod, leaving as much of the dirt as possible. Yes, it was a bit of work. Actually, when I measured it accurately, it was 375 sq ft. I bought 2.5 cubic yards of topsoil ( it was a topsoil/loam/sand/manure mix). I did put starter fertilizer down also. I got halfway through spreading it when it started to rain. Darn. I have not put the seed down yet, but I put the peat moss down over the seed, rather than straw. If you rub it between your hands, it falls as a powder and covers the area. Seems to keep the birds away and the moisture in.

I also want to start top dressing regularly with peat moss to improve the soil on my whole property (along with aeration). Its a pretty big yard, so I was going to get a pro to to it. So far, the one guy came over and tried to sell me his maintenance plan, and then told me he does not have a topdressing spreader. ( Not sure why he advertises topdressing on his website, though). And another guy was going to come over and give me a price, and he never showed up. Looks like I am going to have to do it myself. But first I need to do these repairs.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
Responses from the forum came in pretty slow
We are glad to help, but this is not a commercial site. We read and post when we get to it.

You still should put straw over the seed. It's a completely different purpose than putting out crumbled up peat. But, it's your yard.

Quote:
So far, the one guy came over and tried to sell me his maintenance plan, and then told me he does not have a topdressing spreader. ( Not sure why he advertises topdressing on his website, though). And another guy was going to come over and give me a price, and he never showed up.
Don't you just hate it!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

It has been quite informative reading these posts. I too, as Downunder knows, am preparing to seed what will eventually be about 3/4 +\- of lawn. If my "boss" would stop diverting my labors to plant shrubs and grasses and lantana etc. But the prices are right and i do have an orphanage, as I call it, for all of my propogations and needy plants.

Anyhow - I do try to learn from my mistakes, but find that I learn equally as well if not better from the pitfalls of others. Keep me\us informed on how this goes. BTW just bought 12 Purple Ribbon Grasses in 3 gal pots at $1.49 each. Not root bound - not dried up - couldn't believe it.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
BTW just bought 12 Purple Ribbon Grasses in 3 gal pots at $1.49 each. Not root bound - not dried up - couldn't believe it.

S&H ???????