Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Aluminum Fence Posts pushed up

I live in a northern climate (michigan) and had an aluminum fenced installed 8 yrs ago. Some of the posts have pushed up. I remember when they installed it they indicated they drilled post holes 32-36 deep. Should have been enough below frost line? though I have alot of clay. I've had various problems with heaving cement on patio and cement pool deck. Now recently this year I'm having same heaving with fence posts - strangely the posts at the gates all pushed up this year - 4-6 inches.
My neighbor tried to fix similar problem with his fence (however) it sunk not heaved - could not get posts out (what a mess). I tried digging out post that are cemented in - too deep!! Dont know why this happened and particularly at the gate posts? Any suggestion to best or easily remove the heaving posts as I need to use same hole to put in new one.

jpd1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Jack, plywood, and a chain.

Bind the chain to the post, attatch to jack and pump away. Keep resetting chain as needed.
The more you excavate around the post the easier it will come out. You do run the risk of tearing the aluminum. This will destroy the post as well.

Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bushman For This Useful Post:
jpd1002 (06-16-2010)
Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks - of course I plan on replacing the post so it shouldnt matter if its tore up. I'm concerned that I tear post up so much before it eases out of ground since its so deep. I'll give it a try. Fence encloses a pool - so I dont have alot of time to leave open. when I start I need to fix/finish. yikes!
jpd1002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fence, post, posts