Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice on reviving yard?

Hello everyone,

My yard has taken a real beating this year due to superstorm sandy (You can see dead spot in middle where a tree went down) and just not having time to clean up and maintain. I have a dog as well who did their fair share of the destruction.

I know how to re-seed, fertilize and all the basics. There is a good rental place around here where I can get the thatch mower and Aerator. I've done this in the past with good results.

It's just that I lost so much more grass this year and the tree roots and dirt are dominating. Sections that were once okay are now all patchy (dogs fault). There is also a section under my gutter that always floods during rain and grass never survives there. I know I will have to re-grade that area before seeding. I'm just no sure how exensive this situation is so any advice would be really appreciated!

I'd like bring this yard back to life before summer time. Due to tight finances, (and what landscapers charge around here) I could really use some help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

Mantaray14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Advice on reviving yard?

#1 Get the soil tested to see what it needs instead of just throwing things at it and hoping for the best.
With less limbs and trees blocking the sun that lawn may just come right back.
Last big hurracane that came through here took out 30 trees in the yard.
I had grass growing where it had never grown before.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/templates/...ionsSubLanding

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,090

Advice on reviving yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
I'd like bring this yard back to life before summer time.
98% of the work is just that... work.
Most is best done in the fall, but to de-thatch (or just hard rake),
fill low spots with soil, supplement fertilize, and overseed.
Unless the area is super big it shouldn't add up to too much $$.

Don't reinvent the wheel: LINK to Scotts.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Advice on reviving yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
98% of the work is just that... work.
Most is best done in the fall, but to de-thatch (or just hard rake),
fill low spots with soil, supplement fertilize, and overseed.
Unless the area is super big it shouldn't add up to too much $$.

Don't reinvent the wheel: LINK to Scotts.
Okay, I know what your saying, (just get out there and do it! basically)

I will test the soil this time (something I have never done before). I think the only issues are where the dominant tree roots have killed all the grass (it's so hard to get new seed to "take" in those spots). I know the main part will come back on it's own (with a little help), but those areas where root and dirt have taken over will be a challenge for me, as I could not get them to come back las year by re-seeding.

Any advice for those areas?
Mantaray14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Advice on reviving yard?

Thats all I would too as well. Especially since the four legged culprit is not going anywhere.

Just keep overseeding from time to time after the dethatching is done. It will be lovely again in May/June
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

Advice on reviving yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
Okay, I know what your saying, (just get out there and do it! basically)

Any advice for those areas?

Tolerance and Blinders..sorry
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #7

Advice on reviving yard?

Trimming up the trees to let in more light is a good idea. The root systems of big trees are a killer if you want grass. Mulch areas or small planting bests might be a good idea around there. But suggestions about soil tests, and the work you suggested are good. I know a friend also used this online handyman service to advise him on his project. For the few bucks it cost him to talk through specifics with someone, he thought it was well worth it. I think they were called ProperSee. You'll get a great workout from it!
Buildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Advice on reviving yard?

I know people do not believe I was a turfgrass manager and now preaching against having so much of it. I managed acres and acres of the stuff for shopping centers, parks and apartment complexes and it does have its place. Most homeowners overdue it and then spend too much money and energy worrying about what it looks like. Turf is the most expensive thing you can plant in your landscape. It requires more to maintain properly than even a nice in-ground swimming pool.

Have you decided if you really need grass everywhere you once had it? If it never grew well under the drain why would you think it would now?

How about some nice, colorful (if you want), textured, different height, dog compatible groundcovers instead of so much turf? Spend millions on a showcase putting green instead that you can mow in ten minutes?

Joe is absolutely right about a soil test from a soil lab though. You need, just to start, to know how much saline in the seawater got to you. You could spend a lot of wasted money on turf or other plants if you do not correct your soil imbalances first or as you go if you plant tolerant vegetation.

Last edited by user1007; 03-29-2013 at 10:58 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (03-29-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Advice on reviving yard?

Just start raking. It doesn't sound like it would help, but it will!

My yard always had grass problems even with good soil and a sprinkler system. Our 2 main problems though was debris in the grass that we really didn't even notice (pine needles, twigs, dead grass) and the soil was very compact. We never knew how many pine needles and junk was embedded between the grass blades not letting oxygen into the soil.

We kept raking our lawn for 3 weeks and each time pulled up more dead grass and needles, and also loosened the soil. Our lawn came in nice and rich after watering it a lot.

Did the same this year and we already have green sprouts coming up even before fertilizing it and weed killing.

Last year spring time about May:
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on reviving yard?-green-lawn-.jpg  
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Advice on reviving yard?

I agree with the soil test, but if I was you I think I would rent a bad-ass rear tine tiller and turn that whole yard over, throwing in a bunch of vermiculite and fertilizer and peat to loosen up that compacted soil. Then plant a whole new crop of grass and iron rake it in.

I guess controlling the dog will be tough, though. You may want to throw up a temporary fenced in area for him/ her.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Advice on reviving yard?

Check my post here: New home owner needing yard help

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote