Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

Advice on how to grade foundation

I am in need of a little bit of help. This is a garden basement window on a brick bungalow in the Chicago area.

We recently experienced a pretty good rainfall, about 4 inches in a relatively short period of time.

I got a little seepage in my basement, mostly near this wall.

I realize there could be other factors, but I want to address all areas. I want to make sure that the grade goes away from the foundation, which is does not right now.

You can see that there is a ribbon driveway about 2 feet from the foundation. This really prohibits me from building the ground up to the drip edge and bringing the grade down gracefully. This is the part that I wonder about???

There is a "drip capped" brick (i don't know what this is really called) that is laid before the regular brick. You can see that I removed some bushes to figure this out and also to let more light into the basement.

What would you do to make sure it is graded correctly?

oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

So the concrete is sloping towards your house? If so I think you will have to bust out that concrete and redo it or maybe you can put some concrete overlay on the existing. Maybe step back and give us a wider shot of what the whole driveway looks like.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

No, the concrete is pretty much flat and level and not pitched either way.

There has to be a driveway there, and at some point, I am sure I will have a new one put in and then can have it pitched away from the house somewhat.

I am just wondering if there was some way to pitch the earth from the house out to where the concrete starts for now.

I will try to post a wider shot, didn't have my Jeep keys with me when I took the picture and it was parked in the way of getting too wide.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

You don't have the room to slope your grade, it needs about 10 feet to work,here's a link.

Many building code officials respond to this problem by requiring that the top of the foundations or slabs sit at least six inches above the highest point of the soil at any location around the house. Also the ground must fall away from the foundation at least six inches within the first 10 feet around the perimeter of the house. Remember, this is just the minimum requirement. When it comes to residential grading - the more slope the better.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

One thought would be to add a buried drain tile trench along that side. That way any water that does get down in that area would be channeled away through the drain to somewhere else.

That's what a lot of foundations have down at their base. The idea is any water that gets to the outside wall is blocked by waterproofing material and drains down to the drain tile. Obviously whatever you can do at the surface helps too. Just make sure you look at the total area, you don't want to do something in just one particular location without understanding how the water is flowing to it. Could be water coming down somewhere else nearby and draining to the spot where you're seeing moisture.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote