Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding lawn next to house

I have a small passageway between the house and the hedges which had patio stones on it. I removed the patio stones and I just want to put grass there. Part of the reason is to help with irrigation a bit. The grass roots should help absorb some of the water, and it will also create a tougher ground to drive extra water away, compared to just the sand that is there now. Even with the patio stones, water just got in between and such.

I will want to slope it away from the house a bit too. How think of black earth should I be adding if I want to grow grass? Also, should I dig along the house and add some tar paper or something? Or is there something I spray/paint on? I noticed in some spots there is black stuff that is visible, so I'm guessing this is a tar based substance of some sort. I will want to bring that up a bit higher I guess.

Anything else I should maybe know when getting grass to grow where there was none before? Also does grass need lot of sunlight to grow? This is in a rather shady area. Wondering if I'll have trouble getting it to grow.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote