Adding Lava Rocks And Remove Old Mulch - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding Lava rocks and remove old mulch

Hi Folks,

This is my first time doing lawn activities. So I'll need some advise.

I want to remove the old decayed mulch and put in lava stones. Also I want to add some edging (at least in the front, will use some cheap rubber edging along the side and back of the house) that looks like brick. Don't want to use bricks b/c it's expense. Where can I buy edging & lava rocks for a reasonable price? I checked out HomeDepot & Lowes, but they were expensive. Any site that I can buy these things online?

Thanks,
k

Advertisement

kirridam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homecarecentral View Post
you can get it here for 5.99 a CU

http://http://lawn-and-garden.hardwa...ign=googlebase

I would recommend obtaining rubber mulch instead, it lasts a lifetime when properly installed, and comes in a variety of colors, as well as working very well for evading weeds and such, especially when landscape fabric is properly applied, to find rubber mulch you can look at my website http://*********************

it is around 13 bucks for 16lbs, in the case of rubber mulch that'll coat about as much as a cu of conventional mulch
Will rubber mulch last longer than lava rocks? I think the link to your website is missing?

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
typing left handed

Call local nurseries/lawn and garden centers, even better is to see if there are any wholesale landscape supply places close by...it is cheaper to buy the materials bulk (usually sold by the yard) rather than the bagged stuff from Lowes etc. If you have a truck or trailer they can load you up...otherwise most places deliver for a fee.

Sometimes you can find used brick for edging.

Whatever you decide to use--lava rock, mulch etc...make sure you put down a good weed barrier( NOT plastic)..or treat the area with a weed prevenative like "Preen" .... before you install the lava rock, it will make your life a lot easier later in the season.
good luck.
jmb324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

You probably have considered this, but if the mulch is in a garden bed, the decomposing mulch provides nice organic nutrients to the soil. I use mulch for my garden beds and try to keep it around three inches deep.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 610

Keep looking for a local landscape supply house, you will find one. A good place will have numerous types of stone to choose from. I replaced my wood mulch with red granite last year, and it looks great. Like the other fellow said, make sure you put down a good weed barrier under the rocks.

Steve
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb324 View Post
Call local nurseries/lawn and garden centers, even better is to see if there are any wholesale landscape supply places close by...it is cheaper to buy the materials bulk (usually sold by the yard) rather than the bagged stuff from Lowes etc. If you have a truck or trailer they can load you up...otherwise most places deliver for a fee.

Sometimes you can find used brick for edging.

Whatever you decide to use--lava rock, mulch etc...make sure you put down a good weed barrier( NOT plastic)..or treat the area with a weed prevenative like "Preen" .... before you install the lava rock, it will make your life a lot easier later in the season.
good luck.
jmb324,

Look like lava rock is very expensive! My plan was to remove the existing pine straw mulch around the house and replace it with lava rock. From what I calculated, it will cost me close to $700 to get the rocks in! It's too expensive! Can you suggest a different kind of mulch that would be safe around the house? I'm more concerned about keeping the house safe from insect/termites than planting anything in the mulch. Which mulch would be the best? Also, If I were to use those red mulch, how long will it last? Also, do I have to remove the existing pine straw mulch completely before I put the new stuff in?

Thanks,
k

Advertisement