Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Adding a few sprinkler heads to existing

The sprinkler heads installed previously were the all-brass type that you can't find as easily in home improvement stores nowadays. Many of them had various issues due to age, so I replaced them with Rain Bird 1800 spray heads.

I made a rough diagram of the zone I have in question here. The sprinkler coverage areas denote the nozzle installed on each head without any flow adjustments, except for the one full circle in the top left corner that is notably smaller than the rest. The two lines show specific sprinkler lines. In the right side of the diagram (main area of focus), the line there is where the water comes in from the valve. The rest of the area was drawn to give an idea of what else is on the zone.

There is some overspray but it isn't as bad as the diagram would make it seem. In the area on the right (where it is a bit worse), I would like to add two sprinkler heads (yellow dots) to lessen the amount of water wasted. There would be (5) 8 ft. radius heads in that side strip when finished. What I would like to know before I dig up the grass is, would there be any problem with adding those two heads into the zone?

argh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

FYI, FWIW, etc.
Quote:
There is some overspray but it isn't as bad as the diagram would make it seem.
Irrigation designs are usually based on a "head to head" coverage. That is, the spray from one head reaches to the next head, overlapping between the two or, in your terms, overspray.

Quote:
to lessen the amount of water wasted.
The design layout would only waste water if it was watering non-crop areas, i.e. driveway, etc. Or, to some degree if one head was getting too much water compared to the rest of the heads on the zone. In other words, if that head was too large.

You need X amount of water, period! Notwithstanding the above factors, whether it comes from 1, 2, or 5 heads doesn't matter, presuming that your system can deliver that volume. Which answers your question about adding more heads.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #3

It is watering a 'non-crop' area pretty badly (that side strip of lawn is only 30' x 4.5') . When the system had brass sprinkler heads on, they hardly had much overspray (probably due to the fact that they just barely grazed the top of the grass). I believe those are good for 10-15' - which means it most likely wasn't getting head to head coverage, but the grass was still somehow fine. When I replaced with plastic sprinkler heads, I did have head to head coverage in mind, thus the use of 15's.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Sounds like you need to change the head there. They do make them that will cover an area like you describe.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #5

Side strip nozzles? I found the coverage wasn't even for my application. It would spray from head to head but not much of the water went 'vertically'. Given the design of the nozzle, it would work great if the spray head currently in the middle of the strip was located on the opposite side.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Maybe these?

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/To...4-cst-toro.htm

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1632...-Strip-Pattern
Old 05-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #7

That's exactly what I used.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,026

Usually you may not add more sprinklers to an existing zone. You will lose pressure and therefore lose coverage on the remaining sprinklers in that zone.

You would have to either move other sprinkers on that zone to a different (new?) zone, or add a new zone to serve just the new sprinklers among the old.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Don't know it all, yet!

I understand this to be the OP's question.
Quote:
What I would like to know before I dig up the grass is, would there be any problem with adding those two heads into the zone?

If this zone has the flow capacity of 20 GPH based on pressure (psi) and pipe diameter, and there are five 3 GPH nozzles on there already, then there would be a 15 GPH load on the system and one could add another nozzle- up to a 5 GPH without problem?

Usually.

Pressure (psi, potential, etc) x flow (amps, gallons, etc.) = work accomplished (watts, gph, etc.).

In electricty, Volts x Amps=Watts. In plumbing volts = psi, amps = flow, and watts = gallons per hour (gph).

Quote:
Usually you may not add more sprinklers to an existing zone. You will lose pressure and therefore lose coverage on the remaining sprinklers in that zone.
If a system has 45 psi and 1/2 inch pipe, what would the flow capacity be? If the flow capacity is not exceeded at a given psi, please explain how this could happen.

But frankly I don't know what the numbers are on this system so I couldn't say.

argh,
Would it be easier to go to the two farthest heads and put a T on them and add two more of the desired nozzles and see how that load effects the system? If the rest of the system still gives the desired coverage, then go ahead and do the installation. If not, clean them up and take them back. You shouldn't get them very dirty if you don't actually cover them with dirt.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #10

Exclamation

Two months later, I have gotten around to doing it. It was a tedious process, but in the end it looks and functions great. Most importantly, there is less water wasted and more going on the lawn itself.

Now, the left side looks very poor in terms of overspray compared to the right.