Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

Ack, fungus? Please help!

I am assuming that this is some kind of fungus. Can anyone confirm what this is and what it means? I have just noticed this show up in a few patches in the yard within the past few days.

Also, I was planning to put out some weed and feed tomorrow morning. Should I postpone that for any reason until after I have dealt with this issue first?

Your input on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #2

YEs it certainly is a fungus.cant confirm what type it is.U should apply a herbiside and then proceed.U dont want this fungus to latch on to eveything.

HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Agent 000

If you're still looking into this, the folks at the GardenWeb Forums may be able to help. Just look for the lawn care forum.

Note to HiFi: Do you even know what herbicide is? If you did you wouldn't give some careless suggestion like that.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 07-30-2007 at 08:39 AM.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #4

Thank you for your responses.

The problem is currently spreading. My current plan of looking at it and drinking beer doesn’t seem to be helping either. My parents were down a last week and suggested that it is “powdery mildew.” I am going to try taking some into my local nursery and getting their input.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Agent 000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
My current plan of looking at it and drinking beer doesn’t seem to be helping either.

I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type!
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #6

I've been working on golf courses for 8 years now and have a degree in turfgrass maintenance, and I can say I've never seen that on turf before. It looks to me like egg's almost. But it might be some sort of fungal spores.
Is anything happening to the turf where the white spots were or have been. And does it track and reinfest? Like if you stepped in it and then walked to get a beer, does it leave footprints of reinfestation in your wake?
I'm not sure, but you may have invented a new disease there.. hehe, but if it was powdery mildew, the name says it all. Its more powdery, well very powdery appearence, compared to egg shaped.
Good luck, i'm interested in what they have to say at the nursery. You can also bring a sample to your local university extension. Depending if they have the ability to diagnose turf diseases.
=chris
smallcrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #7

Oh great, an expert! Thank you for your input.

It is definitely spreading, but I don’t know whether it is due to tracking or not. Seems to be spreading in patches, not an enlarging perimeter. This theoretically could have been something I stepped in and tracked before I knew it was there. Since I noticed it though, I have been careful not to touch it and have kept the dog away so it would be hard to assign a cause/ effect relationship at this point.

I noticed the first patch shortly before I ran over it with the mower – this kicked up a large cloud of something a few feet in each direction. It was pretty gross and I imagine it either gave me cancer or some kind of superpowers. I am hoping for the superpowers, but haven’t been feeling any different lately, so it is probably cancer.

Anyway, if I can break away from the office anytime soon, I will get some of it tested and post again. In the meantime, I appreciate any advice/ encouragement that anyone may wish to post.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #8

well, i've seen some mushrooms do that, i like those, thats how they reproduce and spread. That cloud is the spores that are spreading. So its most likely a fungal infection, just not one i'm aware of.
I dont have any sound advice, but what you could do, is apply the weed and feed and hopefully the feed part has enough quick release nitrogen to outpace the fungal infection.
If it's not harming the grass specifically I'd just not track in it and keep it dry if you can. Most fungus like wet conditions.
Good luck.
keep us up to date, i like this
-chris
smallcrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

From the photo I see two different problems. My son and I have a lawn care business and we saw some of both this year. In fact, I had both on my lawn. I took samples to my local nursery and got this diagnosis:

The grayish, ash-like substance on the grass blades is 'smut'. Nothing to worry about. You can wash it off with a hose and nozzle or just wait for a heavy rain.

In the background of the photo I see blades with alot of yellow areas along with black/brown spots. This is a fungus and will kill your lawn if it gets bad enough and spreads enough (it did to mine). You need a fungicide for that-- not a herbicide. Herbicides kill weeds and undesirable plants. Fungicides kill fungus. My nurseryman recommended 1% Bayleton. It treats a number of different fungi. It's a granular product that you broadcast with a spreader and then water in. Its not CHEAP, but neither is reseeding your lawn. Since you already have it, you will need to use a heavier (curative) rate rather than a lower (preventative) rate, and probably more than one application.

Unless you look very closely, the lawn looks like it is drought stressed. I waited too long with seeking advise and I will be reseeding my front lawn this fall. Next year I'll apply the fungicide in time to hopefully avoid the problem. I was told to use the "Rule of 150" to know when to apply the fungicide. That is when you take the daytime temperature and add the humidity level to it and when the total is 150 or higher (hot and moist) it's time to apply the fungicide.

Good luck,

Dave
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #10

Interesting. Thanks for your input Dave.

Unfortunately, I am knee deep in client work and have not yet been able to get to the nursery yet.