Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Above ground pool removed, now what?

We just bought a house with an above ground pool, 2' in the ground, completely surrounded by a raised deck. It was beautifully done, however the renters destroyed it and the metal liner collapsed. The pool itself is now gone, however there are 6 metal supports that each have their own cement block in the ground. As far as we know, the pump still works. The million dollar question is, what now? We don't want to throw a lot of money in it. We live in FL so a replacement pool would be nice but that will probably run 6k with installation. We toyed with an inflatable "ready set" pool but would have to secure the dirt from caving it in, and would still need to put down sod to absorb rain water. Do we deck over it? Do we fill it in with dirt and put some lush plants and flowers? Do we fill it in with dirt and use the pump for a fountain? In that case, might as well do another pool... we don't have a clue and could really use some ideas! I attached some photos. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Above ground pool removed, now what?-img_20140318_085812_052.jpg   Above ground pool removed, now what?-img_20140314_091257_220.jpg   Above ground pool removed, now what?-img_20130828_165435_954.jpg   Above ground pool removed, now what?-img_20140317_160010_887.jpg  

AnginFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

That's a nice set up. It would be a shame to see it ripped out.

I'd be looking on Kijji or Craig's list for an Oval pool with the same dimensions. Sometimes you even see them given away in exchange for relandscaping the donor's yard.

Probably count on a new liner though, even if the old one is in good shape. Once a liner is drained, they shrink, and its very difficult to line up the skimmer and eye's to the same holes. Not unheard of though.

Liners cost a few hundred at least

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

another pool
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Quick-Home-Buyers

That is a beautiful setup. If the pump is there turn it into a mini oasis. A fountain and lots of plants to take in the extra water.
QuickHomeBuyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Quick-Home-Buyers

I just had another idea! Fill it with sand. Your deck with the sand will give it a boardwalk feel. Plus I see you have your tiki bar in the back as well.
QuickHomeBuyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

Pool - Since the ground is already level you could do it yourself. How big is the pool? 6K sounds a little high to me to replace.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

I've never seen the sense in having a pool that wasn't big enough to actually swim in. It would be too much maintenance for me, but that's just my opinion.

How old is the surrounding deck? What's the life span of that type of deck? The humidity here in Fla doesn't allow most wood to last as long as it would in other states. I'd worry about investing in another pool only to have the wood start to rot. Yes, it's nice looking, but still voting no.

Last edited by Startingover; 03-23-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
I've never seen the sense in having a pool that wasn't big enough to actually swim in.
we have one of those inflatable pools that we use. no swimming in this thing.
but we like if for lounging around in on hot days. and its not a high maintanence thing.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote