6X6 Timber Retaining Wall Additions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

6X6 Timber Retaining Wall Additions

Hey all,

I have some question regarding a timber retaining wall I am going to be building shortly.

A couple years ago we had a firepit area dug out of a slope on our property. The area is about 16 feet in diameter. We had timber (6X6) retaining walls built along 5 sides of the area to keep the slope back (Walls #1 thru #5). So we currently have 5 sides of an octagon holding the slope back. This spring I want to build the remaining three sides (Walls # 6 thru #8) of the octagon (in front of the pit) to keep everything from migrating down the hill. (See atatched).

So I have a couple of questions.

I want to bury the first two rows of timbers for the new sections of wall. Does the depth of my trench for wall #6 and #8 need to be at the same depth as the trench for wall #7? Wall number 7 is the front wall, so in other words do I dig one trench for all three new sides at the same depth or do I somehow graduate the depth of the trench up as move back to wall 1 and 5 since the slope gradually goes up as I move back. ?

Also, what is the best way to tie in where wall 8 meets wall 1 and where wall 5 meets wall 6? I was thinking about a 45 degree miter and toe screwing. Would that be sufficient?

I have a number of other questions but that should get me started at least.

Thank you in advance for looking.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by Tom5151; 02-20-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Tom5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 586

I think a lot of your questions have to do with whether or not you are sloping your area for drainage. If you want everything inside of the octagon level, then you need to be a bit more precise. Pics would help.

When I did a circular paver patio on a slope w/ retaining wall....after I dug the area as level as I could, I found level from the highest point to lowest point and leveled that with a string level. You start laying with the lowest first and work to the highest area...since you've already got the high area finished, you'll probably just need to start from where you left off. Like I said, an actual pics will give you more precise responses.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I think a lot of your questions have to do with whether or not you are sloping your area for drainage. If you want everything inside of the octagon level, then you need to be a bit more precise. Pics would help.

When I did a circular paver patio on a slope w/ retaining wall....after I dug the area as level as I could, I found level from the highest point to lowest point and leveled that with a string level. You start laying with the lowest first and work to the highest area...since you've already got the high area finished, you'll probably just need to start from where you left off. Like I said, an actual pics will give you more precise responses.
Yup. Pics would help.

And what degree/how steep a slope are you trying to retain with this? Even on both sides? As far as you know is the mass stable? Is it just dirt native to the site?

You have a couple set of natural forces to hold in any event. By hollowing the space out you had some laterally as well.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote