Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

6' Privacy Fencing Install Questions

Hi,

Joined this site for all the great advice. I've searched and read alot about fencing but wanted to ask a few questions still.

Need to put up 6' shadowbox privacy fencing for my townhome backyard.

Should I use 6x6 posts for the gate? Should I also use the 6x6's for the two rear corners? The fence will only enclose the backyard which isn't huge, but I don't have exact lengths as we don't live there yet. If I had to guess, maybe 40x20'.

I understand the posts should be set about 1/3 the visible height in ground. They should have gravel below, then concrete, and a bit of soil on top.

Should the gravel be set a couple inches, then post? Or post in first, then gravel up the sides of the post?

Should I attempt to make some sort of separation between gravel and the concrete so the concrete doesn't settle down into the layer of gravel? I guess a layer or plastic might work? Or is that thinking it through too much/over-engineering so to speak?

Should I set the concrete into those forming tubes? Or just straight into the post holes without a forming tube?

I planned on pouring dry mix in, then water and mixing the fast set type mix and haning the fence panels a couple days later.

Is it really necessary to concrete the whole way up the hole, say it be 2-3 feet? Or just a bag per post? I know quickrete's calculator was showing it'd take a few bags per hole, but that is also calculating based on making a pretty wide hole. My plan was to use a post hole digger and make the smallest hole necessary for the posts, that way less concrete and gravel would be necessary.

I of course want the fence to last and be stable so I don't have to re-do it, but I'd like to save on materials as much as possible without sacrificing the quality.

Where do you guys usually source your lumber for fences? The fence company? A good lumber store?

t1snwbrdr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I built a standard 6' cedar picket fence around my house a couple years ago. I used 4x4 pressure treated posts every 8 feet. I used a 1-man gas-powered auger to dig out the holes...saved a TON of time. Then I filed the hole with approx. 3 inches of gravel, then put the post in, then poured in the dry quikrete fast-set cement then sprayed water in with the hose and mixed it in the hole. I used 1 fifty pound bag per post, then staked the post plumb until the quikrete dried and I could remove the stakes. I got all my wood from Home Depot.

Once I finished building the fence I stained it. You can sorta see my fence in my attached photo.

-Seth
Attached Thumbnails
6' Privacy Fencing Install Questions-image-1013009647.jpg  

dezandseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #3

You may want to consider metal vertical posts as opposed to wood.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #4

I saw a new shadow box fence in my neighborhood that looked great and he used these: http://thd.co/12nIdAm
Attached Thumbnails
6' Privacy Fencing Install Questions-image-1079626861.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

So maybe I'm overthinking it, but my train of thought is that pouring some gravel then placing the post would not be as good as placing an inch or so of gravel, then post, then more gravel and then cement. The gravels intention is to let moisture drain away and not rot the post. Letting some gravel actually be around the post seems ideal in my mind, as opposed to only below the post.

Either way, does there need to be some layer, such as plastic, between the gravel and the cement level so that the cement doesn't seem into the gravel level? Or again, is that over-thinking it?

Thanks for the advice thus far. That metal post idea seems nice but it would really increase the project cost. I'll still keep it in mind and consider it, though.
t1snwbrdr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Do whatever you want to do and let me know how it goes. I just did what I saw in a how-to video by quikrete or lowes or Home Depot. Just search google or YouTube. Good luck with your project.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #7

And yes. I think you're overthinking it.