DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

4200 Sq. Ft. of Bamboo Shoots

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  wkearney99 
#1 ·
I have about a 60 x 70 area of what I think is Running Bamboo in my yard. I'm located in South Eastern Virginia and the temp. is averaging 45 - 55. What is the best way to eliminate this type of Bamboo? What type of equipment is best suited for its removal?

#3 ·
If it has gotten away and grown freely I wish you luck. You are going to have to dig it out and probably with some fairly heavy equipment. Make sure to locate underground utilities first.

I loved specificying and planting bamboo in landscape designs but you have to use it responsibly and contain its runners. Or, you face the situation you have now.

#6 ·
are you sure it is bamboo or is it "Japanese knottweed"? If the latter I wish you luck as it is VERY invasive. digging the root clumps and treating the foliage with a 15% solution of garlon 3 will kill it in a few years. there is no silver bullet. all it needs is 1 inch of root to resprout.

#9 ·
I purchased an old Victorian 2 years ago that had an area of timber bamboo (running kind) that had been growing for 25+ years. It was 100'x30' and was so dense that you could not see thru groove.

The running roots had knocked out a layer of my brick foundation getting to a water source and broke my sewer main at a 3" to 4" coupling.

Upon purchase my ins agent said he would have to exclude the bamboo for damage to my home or the neighbors, so I cut down over 500 timbers averaging height was 20' in length and had a craftsman take them all. Then I rented a mini excavator for 3 days and literally roto tilled every square inch of my yard about 3 feet deep. I ended up hauling over 17,000 pounds of roots to the dump and after all said and done my yard level dropped as much as 8" in many spots. In addition, I pulled over 200' of bamboo root from out of my sewer line.

After a full year of no bamboo, and growing season it didn't come back. Now it's been shy of 2 years and still nothing.

I found this method to work best. No chemicals just 3 grueling days of hard work and lots of runs to dump.

#10 ·
so I cut down over 500 timbers averaging height was 20' in length and had a craftsman take them all. Then I rented a mini excavator for 3 days and literally roto tilled every square inch of my yard about 3 feet deep. I ended up hauling over 17,000 pounds of roots to the dump and after all said and done my yard level dropped as much as 8" in many spots. In addition, I pulled over 200' of bamboo root from out of my sewer line.
Wow!!! I guess I can't complain any more about needing to pull the occasional yellow nutsedge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.