2002 MTD Snow Blower Won't Stay Running - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2002 MTD Snow Blower Won't Stay Running

A friend of mine has a 2002 Yard Machines snow blower with an 8hp Tecumseh engine. He has never serviced this machine and (not suprisingly), it quit on him the other day. It stopped running and he couldn't get it started again. I went over and started it on the first pull. It ran for about 5 minutes but quit again. We were able to start it again but each time it would die within 30 seconds. If we let it sit for an hour or so we were able to get it started again and it'd run for another 5 minutes then for only 30 seconds with each additional start after that. Each time it dies, it almost sounds like it not getting fuel. The engine revs a bit, then goes low, then revs a bit less, then goes low, etc... until it eventually dies.
I know there's fuel in the bowl because this carb has a little push plug that when pushed drains the bowl and when I push it, fuel comes out.

We checked the oil and there was hardly any in there and it was awfully dark. I changed the oil and replaced the plug. I figured the issue why it was quiting was carb related so I took it off, disassembled it and cleaned it. It wasn't as dirty as I thought it'd be, in fact it was hardly dirty at all. I'd only serviced one carb prior to this from an older Tecumseh and this one was a bit different but everything still looked good, clean and the float had no fuel in it.

So, after all this, we put it all back together and it does the exact same thing. I'm thinking where he ran the same oil through it for 9 years he might have done some some damage to the cylinder/piston but its not seized and when it is running it sounds okay. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by torttion; 02-02-2011 at 08:05 AM.
torttion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,186

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Check and clean the fuel cap; make sure that it is venting properly (you may want to try running it a bit with the fuel cap loose or removed, just to check this possibility, but be careful, and do not operate it with the cap removed). Check the fuel line, to make sure that it is in good shape, and that the connections are secure. Drain or siphon the gasoline from the tank, and replace it. I would add Sea Foam to the new fuel as well. Otherwise, I would say that it's time to clean the carburetor again.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

You may also want to check the wire connections at the interlocks and shut off switch (if so equipped), although, based on what you described, I still suspect a fuel problem.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Dexter. The carb was just cleaned last night so I doubt it needs cleaning again. The fuel line looks like its in good shape, I had taken a look at it last night when I removed the carb. The fuel is also new. We had drained it and replaced it with new fuel when we did the carb. I'll try running it with the cap loose tonight and see what happens.
torttion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
The carb was just cleaned last night
Ayuh,... Did you blow out all the tiny passages,..??

It's the crud that you Can't see that gums up the works....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

I understand that you just did it, so when I said again, I meant that you need to do it over because you missed something, with no regard to how much time has passed. As Bondo said, a lot of tiny places for crud to accumulate.

Advertisement

Tags
carburator , snow blower , tecumseh