Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #1

Share |

2 problems on the side of my house.

1. The air condition leaks (too much). I know, that water has to go somewhere. It's rather annoying though, cutting grass, splash everywhere, moss everywhere, and I imagine it's a mosquito fest there in the summer (rather swampy from constant leakage).

I intended to catch the tube leaking but I guess the AC wasn't on, but there's pictures of moss growth.

And here is a spatial view of my house.

I'm thinking I should do some "wiring" towards the driveway? Any pointers here on what kind of supplies/materials?

2. I don't know if it's because of the gutter "ramp" being misplaced for months or me climbing down the hill but this hill is collapsing (and I swore I fixed the placement of the ramp hours before I taped this).

You should be able to see the 1st "canyon". The other two shallow spots are kind of hard to see. What do you reckon I do to help recurve my hill? Add dirt (brown/red kind), soil, plants (to hold soil) or what?

Sorry for my funny questions. I'm a 17 year old and no one in my house wants to take initiatve so yeah.

Last edited by pugfug90; 04-02-2007 at 10:34 PM.
pugfug90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You can eliminate the splash block by installing a flexible extension on your down spout. Run it undergraound until you get away from the house. You can dump in the "ditch" or run it a little deeper and put a pop-up discharge outlet. Closes by gravity and opens when there is water flows.

This will eliminate the erosion and you can walk or mow right over it.

The big box will thavr the flexible extension. I think they usually have the pop-ups or you may have to go to a landscape store for that.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #3

"You can eliminate the splash block by installing a flexible extension on your down spout."
Cool, never knew of those.

"You can dump in the "ditch" or run it a little deeper and put a pop-up discharge outlet. Closes by gravity and opens when there is water flows."
Wow, auto-closing mouth, cool. What if I want to refill the ditch though?

"walk or mow right over it."
You're talking about erosion (left side of house) but I can't walk/mow (regularly on a hillside)..

"The big box will thavr the flexible extension. I think they usually have the pop-ups or you may have to go to a landscape store for that."
What big box? Pop up?
===

Any idea on what to do with these? I think a huge flexible gutter would look rather silly just so (right) side won't be swampy/wet.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugfug90 View Post
"You can eliminate the splash block by installing a flexible extension on your down spout."
Cool, never knew of those.

"You can dump in the "ditch" or run it a little deeper and put a pop-up discharge outlet. Closes by gravity and opens when there is water flows."
Wow, auto-closing mouth, cool. What if I want to refill the ditch though?

"walk or mow right over it."
You're talking about erosion (left side of house) but I can't walk/mow (regularly on a hillside)..

"The big box will thavr the flexible extension. I think they usually have the pop-ups or you may have to go to a landscape store for that."
What big box? Pop up?
===

Any idea on what to do with these? I think a huge flexible gutter would look rather silly just so (right) side won't be swampy/wet.
The flexible extension is placed underground, so it is not as obvious as the elbow and green plastic thing that moves around.

For the other problem, you can always drain into the tubing to carry the water down to the low area. On problem would be insects and debris plugging the tubing because there is very little flow.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

How would I go about draining the tubing of the AC?
--
And I just looked again outside but don't have access to parent's cam. It's dripping about 2-3 per second.. It's usually once a second.

Last edited by pugfug90; 04-03-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #6

Hello?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #7

FYI, "Big box" = "big box" stores like Lowe's or Home Depot.

As for the AC drain, I can not tell the elevation of the side yard where the drain is located with relation to the driveway, but would it be possible to run a PVC drain line from the wall penetration out to the driveway in front, sloped towards the driveway? Or even all the way to the street? Small PVC piping (likely 1/2") is cheap and easy to put together. The other option would be to dig a big trench a few feet out from the wall, will it with rocks and gravel, and pipe the drain to this (a "french drain"). The trench should have larger stones on the bottom, then smaller gravel on top, and then you could put new dirt and seed, or re-sod, on top of that. You could pipe the PVC straight down under ground and out to the gravel ("tapping into the side" of the stones), or just across the ground and then turn down into it (but this would be in the way of your mower), but however you do it, make sure you keep the pipe slightly sloped away from the house so the condensate runs out.

As for the downspout, the options are pretty much the same, but on a much larger scale, since there would be a lot more water coming from the gutters. The pop-up idea suggested above would only work if you had a spot where the water could flow out and not wash away earth or flood your yard or whatever. You could also just make a long trench and bury a perforated pipe (the black corrugated stuff you see at the "big box") and run your downspout into that, and that would "diffuse" the water out of it.... but I am no expert on how much pipe you would need, how deep it should be, etc. The best bet is to try to get it to flow to a curb or gutter and into a storm sewer.

Hope this wasn't too vague or too confusing.
pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #8

Not at all:D Thanks for your help