1997 MTD W/ 8 Hp Tecumseh Engine - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

1997 MTD w/ 8 hp tecumseh engine

Hi all,

I bought a used snow blower out of desperation yesterday, due to the blizzard and my shovelling leaving about 5 ft of snow on the sidewalks. The snow blower I bought will not stay running. To keep it going, I need to constantly push the primer nipple. Before I take apart the carb, is there any easier way to fix this? I did not search, I am in central ct, and desperate, thanks!!

Advertisement

teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcampreder View Post
Hi all,

I bought a used snow blower out of desperation yesterday, due to the blizzard and my shovelling leaving about 5 ft of snow on the sidewalks. The snow blower I bought will not stay running. To keep it going, I need to constantly push the primer nipple. Before I take apart the carb, is there any easier way to fix this? I did not search, I am in central ct, and desperate, thanks!!
Adjust the carb!

Advertisement

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

Rebuild the carbarator.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #4

Most of the time you just need to clean the carb. I am constantly cleaning the carb on my pressure washer, quad, weed wackers etc. The ethanol used in todays gas will gum up these tiny jets very quickly unless it is consistently being used. It is generally pretty easy to remove the carb and clean all of the tiny air passages and jets. I like to use the thin metal wire from the bread bag ties. just remove some of the plastic so you can run the wire through the little jets. Just be careful not to poke a hole in the diaphragm.

Lately it is easy to get things cheap on craigslist because they no longer run. Most of the time a 30 minute carb cleaning and they are like new.
Troy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

I use nothing but non ethenal fuel in all my power equipment, It's reduced the maintaince at least 75%.
Might want to cheak at your local power equipment shop to see if they know someone that sells it.
I live in a big time boating area so there's at least 5 places near by where I can buy it. Any marina will have it.
I also added a fuel filter to everything except my chain saw. Amazing the trash I find in them.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #6

I did not think you could still get gas without ethanol. I will have to check some marina's. I know it is terrible for boat motors. It would definitely make for a lot less maintenence

Last edited by Troy32; 02-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Troy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #7

Every small engine shop and anyplace that sells boats I've seen around here as a warning sitting right on the sales counter about using not using ethenal fuel.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #8

OK, so I found a new carb on amazon for 30 bucks, and am planning on doing the install tonight.

Carb for reference.
http://amzn.com/B004HU6OGI

I have one question. I didn't label anything properly, but it seems like this carb doesn't have any kind of filter or screen even over the intake. I don't remember taking one off the other one either. Is that common? It seems like that is just a recipe for disaster....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #9

Ok, I threw the carb back on, hooked up fuel line, primer line, choke, and kill switch. Two things. I don't see any way to connect the throttle control on user control area to the throttle on the carb. Am I missing something here? Also, it still won't stay running, and I noticed that the outside bottom of the float bowl was soaked with fuel, and followed that trail to the fuel line. Do I need a new fuel line? Do I throw in the towel and take it to get serviced somewhere?

Advertisement