1988 Case Model 688 Excavator - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


Hello Folks,
I recently purchased a used CASE excavator to clear my property of stumps, etc. I have a hydraulic control problem with the boom. Does ANYBODY have any experience with this machine?? The local dealership won't even discuss the problem, and are no help what so ever. Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Advertisement

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
General Contractor
 
joasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Rewards Points: 500
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


Probably the service guy at the dealership won't commit to say anything until they can actually see the machine...I am guessing you have gone in and described the problem. Dealerships anymore tend to be focused on making money...and selling you a few parts isn't making their bottom line.

What I would do, if I were you, is look at the local companies that operate excavators, and see if you can get the owner, or a foreman to tell you who services their machines, or if they can recommend an independent mechanic...to at least tell you what you may be looking at.

I can assure you that any work you have done to an excavator will not be cheap, and the parts are really high from Case.

Advertisement

__________________
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
405 853 1563



joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


joasis,
Thank you for your reply / suggestions. I have done what you recommended, but haven't connected with a competent mechanic as yet. No choice but to continue searching. One would think up here in MAINE with all the machinery (Heavy Equipment) I see everyday. I could connect with somebody who would extend a hand. These folks are tight. Oh well, every road has it's puddles. Thanks again. By the way you aren't a Duck hunter---- are you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
Probably the service guy at the dealership won't commit to say anything until they can actually see the machine...I am guessing you have gone in and described the problem. Dealerships anymore tend to be focused on making money...and selling you a few parts isn't making their bottom line.

What I would do, if I were you, is look at the local companies that operate excavators, and see if you can get the owner, or a foreman to tell you who services their machines, or if they can recommend an independent mechanic...to at least tell you what you may be looking at.

I can assure you that any work you have done to an excavator will not be cheap, and the parts are really high from Case.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


can you describe in detail the problem u are having i have almost fifteen years in the heavy equipment industry and have fixed a multitude of problems and i have first hand experience with this perticular model of machine hope to hear from you soon heath
heathwithanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,830
Rewards Points: 2,294
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


Quote:
Originally Posted by heathwithanl View Post
can you describe in detail the problem u are having i have almost fifteen years in the heavy equipment industry and have fixed a multitude of problems and i have first hand experience with this perticular model of machine hope to hear from you soon heath
Quote:
02-20-2007
Ayuh,... I haveta think he's gotten it fixed, sometime in the last 4 Years...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


sorry trouble ridden i didnt see the date although the 688 is a trouble ridden piece most people ive talked to that have or had this piece of eqipment realize this only too late like the hydraulic pump that is no longer existant or the circut board electrical panel that looks like something out of a radioshack raiod kit gone terribly wrong i wiil pay better attention to the date the thread is posted from now on though thanks for pointing it out heath
heathwithanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,830
Rewards Points: 2,294
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


Quote:
i wiil pay better attention to the date the thread is posted from now on though thanks for pointing it out heath
Ayuh,... No Problem,... It happens to All of Us who answer now, 'n then...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


heathwithanl

helloo, i see u know much about excavators and things like this, can u help me? i want to buy case 688 b and what can u say about this machine?
batutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


Hi heath, I could also do with some advice regarding a Case 688B wheeled unit (with rail conversion).

Mine has an odd issue, if you press the brake, it also engages drive, if you drive, it applies the brakes also.

The turning joint has been re-built but the issue remains.

In addition, when put into high the gears make a graunching noise
Mark Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

1988 Case Model 688 Excavator


Quote:
Originally Posted by shikha View Post
The design is basically derived from steam shovels.
Look closely at my avatar,see the steam pressure gauge?

Advertisement

__________________
U.S.M.C. "80-84" E.O.D. 1369
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skill saw case rsteve12 General DIY Discussions 14 11-02-2011 06:37 PM
Any advice on a good brand of air conditioner (window model) ? nubee Appliances 2 06-12-2007 04:24 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts