Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #1

Share |

The wrong grout...

The grout in my shower was getting fairly disgusting, so I decided to remove and regrout. Normally I do a lot of research on the correct way to do a job before I start, but this seemed simple enough. So I rolled into the home improvement store armed only with a "can do" attitude and left with a premixed TEC Invision grout (http://www.tecinvision.com/pdfs/data.../PDS_Grout.pdf). I did have the good sense to read the label and to make sure it could be used in a shower application (some of their products cannot).

Then I wanted to research grout sealers and came across this forum thread:

Mastic/thinset bathtub/shower surround?

Yikes! Mastic is apparently entirely the wrong stuff, but it is already installed. So my question: is there anything I can do to make this stuff last a little bit longer (like a sealer that can be recommended or something). I understand that it will fail eventually, but the tiles are a hideous shade of green that do not factor into my long term plans for the bathroom. If I can get a couple of years out of it, that might be OK. Thanks for any help.

nick.conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
DIY staff

The wrong grout...

Mastic is definitely a poor choice---however,countless showers have been set using it---failure is not guaranteed--only more likely---

So--keep the door or curtain open after you use the shower---use the exhaust fan and add one more item to your list of projects that will need to be done some day.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

The wrong grout...

Thanks for your prompt reply. Does it make sense to apply a grout sealer to a mastic grout (which says it does not need to be sealed)? Would that have a positive impact on longevity?
Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #4

The wrong grout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.conklin View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply. Does it make sense to apply a grout sealer to a mastic grout (which says it does not need to be sealed)? Would that have a positive impact on longevity?

See if you can get some epoxy grout,it's normaly used in swimming pools,and it's kinda pricey but better than what your going to put in,and how wide are your grout lines,if 1/8" or less use unsanded,if wider use sanded,and it wouldn't hurt to use a sealer on it after you apply the grout.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Renovations contractor

The wrong grout...

To the OP...
Mastic is totally different from grout. Mastic is basically a premixed glue of sorts that bonds tile to the substrate. It is only for small format ceramic tile as it does not have great bonding strength compared to polymer modified thinset (which comes in a powder format like cement that you mix with water).
The premixed grout that you provided a link for seems to be OK based on the spec sheet ... Not what we use but according to the manufacturer guidelines you have used it correctly based on what you described.

I am somewhat confused though why you mentioned mastic as the product you referenced is not mastic??
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #6

The wrong grout...

Canarywood, that would be great advice if the job was not already finished.

Bonzai, in a previous forum I thought someone else referred to the same product as mastic, guess I was just confused. (If it isn't mastic, what is it called?) What I'm trying to figure out is if I need to apply a sealer even though the spec sheet says it is unnecessary. If the sealers are designed for thinset, they may just be a waste of time and money. I truly appreciate your time and feedback.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
DIY staff

The wrong grout...

Sounds like you used a premixed grout---some are great (the urethane ones) some stink--

No sealer is needed on the premixed grouts.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Renovations contractor

The wrong grout...

Sealers are for porous tile and grout (unless the specific type of grout does not require it). The purpose of the sealer is to stop water from penetrating. Grout is purely a filler for the narrow gaps between tiles. Thinset is essentially what bonds the tile to the substrate.

And I totally agree with what the last poster said ... Some of the premixed grouts are utterly useless. Personally we never use the stuff.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
DIY staff

The wrong grout...

[quote=Bonzai;946045]Sealers are for porous tile and grout (unless the specific type of grout does not require it). The purpose of the sealer is to stop water from penetrating.

Water will still penetrate the grout after sealing---the main purpose of the sealer is to make the grout less likely to hold dirt--which can grow mold.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Renovations contractor

The wrong grout...

Seems somehow my post got posted with a few critical words missing .. It was supposed to say "... water, oil and acid based contaminants from penetrating". Guess I need to practice using my iPad keyboard more lol
There's indeed a common misconception that all tile and grout is waterproof ... Have to explain this one to my clients a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzai For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #11

The wrong grout...

Thanks guys! Guess I can skip the sealer and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the grout lasts.

The Following User Says Thank You to nick.conklin For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-19-2012)

Tags
grout mastic show tile