DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood stove ceiling port thingy removal?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SimpleJack 
#1 ·
Not sure what you would call it, but I removed the wood stove I had in the living room and we are never going to use it, so I need to remove that black square thing that has the pipe in it.

I tried accessing it from the ceiling but there is no way to get over to that area of the house from the attic..
I tried cutting around the square piece with a razor blade, but i think it might be bolted in or something? Really I have no idea how to remove this.. does anyone know what I can do to remove the square black piece and part of the pipe that is hanging down so I can close it off with some drywall.
I'm getting ready to paint and this thing needs to be gone.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Two options. Cut it apart with a grinder with a metal blade or get the instructions from the manufacturer to see how it was installed and reverse the process. The item might be secured in the attic area or it's a friction fit around the pipe if you don't see any fasteners.
Ron

#4 ·
Yes, it's still out the roof top. I have it capped off though. I have no access in the attic to this location in the ceiling for some reason.

So pretty much is sounds like if I can't pop it off the end of the pipe, i need to a big hole and start making a mess? :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Well when I looked up in the attic, I can see the roof slanting and it goes all the way down to the top of the ceiling. looks maybe 20+ feet deep and there is alot of blow in insulation.
Unless there is a small rabbit hole access at the opposite end of the attic opening that can not be seen from the access in the ceiling, which I don't think there is.
Isn't it code or something to have to have full access to al parts of the attic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.