Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #1

Share |

Wood stove ceiling port thingy removal?

Not sure what you would call it, but I removed the wood stove I had in the living room and we are never going to use it, so I need to remove that black square thing that has the pipe in it.

I tried accessing it from the ceiling but there is no way to get over to that area of the house from the attic..
I tried cutting around the square piece with a razor blade, but i think it might be bolted in or something? Really I have no idea how to remove this.. does anyone know what I can do to remove the square black piece and part of the pipe that is hanging down so I can close it off with some drywall.
I'm getting ready to paint and this thing needs to be gone.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Wood stove ceiling port thingy removal?-_mg_8044.jpg   Wood stove ceiling port thingy removal?-_mg_8042.jpg   Wood stove ceiling port thingy removal?-_mg_8041.jpg  

SimpleJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #2

Two options. Cut it apart with a grinder with a metal blade or get the instructions from the manufacturer to see how it was installed and reverse the process. The item might be secured in the attic area or it's a friction fit around the pipe if you don't see any fasteners.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #3

Ceiling support/wall thimble. It appears the pipe is still attached. I think Ron is right, you will need to go into the attic unless it's a flat roof. Is the pipe still going out the roof?
I
Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop in Hand View Post
Ceiling support/wall thimble. It appears the pipe is still attached. I think Ron is right, you will need to go into the attic unless it's a flat roof. Is the pipe still going out the roof?
I
Yes, it's still out the roof top. I have it capped off though. I have no access in the attic to this location in the ceiling for some reason.

So pretty much is sounds like if I can't pop it off the end of the pipe, i need to a big hole and start making a mess?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Yes, it's still out the roof top. I have it capped off though. I have no access in the attic to this location in the ceiling for some reason.

So pretty much is sounds like if I can't pop it off the end of the pipe, i need to a big hole and start making a mess?
You should have access to all the areas in the attic. This way you can check on issues that will arise. You can find a stud bay in the area and cut out the sheetrock to provide this access. A simple plywood door with molding, attached with magnets will give you almost instant access.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Well when I looked up in the attic, I can see the roof slanting and it goes all the way down to the top of the ceiling. looks maybe 20+ feet deep and there is alot of blow in insulation.
Unless there is a small rabbit hole access at the opposite end of the attic opening that can not be seen from the access in the ceiling, which I don't think there is.
Isn't it code or something to have to have full access to al parts of the attic?