Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Wood burning fireplace insert removal

Greetings. I am looking to remove a metal wood burning fireplace insert from my wall, and I want to cover the opening with drywall so I can have a functional wall. I can figure out how to remove the insert no problem, but am not sure the proper way to seal off that hole since there will still be a chimney. I have read that I need to just place a cap on the chimney and put a vent in the drywall i install over the fireplace opening. I have also heard that I can take a piece of metal and adhere it to the top of the chimney with a bead of caulk to form a water tight seal and then I wouldn't have to vent the drywall. I just want to make sure I do this correctly so that I don't risk any moisture damage in the future and so that I don't constantly have a drafty opening into a chimney that will kill my centeral heat and air efficiency. Anyone got any input on this?

abstraktbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

I'm no expert on the subject, but I can't imagine why one would want to "vent" the drywall. Is this an exterior wall that you should ensure is properly insulated after the insert is removed ?

I would ensure the chimney cap is properly sealed with a metal cap ... and that the seal does not rely on caulk to keep the rain out.

While I certainly would caulk the cap, I would ensure that it is secured with screws or some other method.

Your goal is to make the chimney rainproof. After that, I see no reason not to drywall over the old opening, with no vent.

Rod

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

Thank you, Rod. This is indeed an exterior wall and I do plan to insulate it. I didn't like the sound of a vent and wasn't sure in my reading why anyone would do this and not try to seal the chimney with a waterproof seal of some sort. The method you suggested seems to be the answer I am starting to get more often. Thank you, sir.
abstraktbass is offline   Reply With Quote