Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring a Bathroom Fan/Light/Night Light

I performed this task 3 years ago in a bathroom in a house that I sold with the same equipment. Don't recall exactly what procedure I used but everything worked perfectly. This time things did not go smoothly.
I bought the exact same equipment.
1. Broan Model QT140LE Fan/Light/NL from the box store.
2. Pass & Seymour RT1 Time Switch.
The time switch is a 7 button preset comprised of six time selection buttons for the fan and one On/Off button with pilot light. The on/off button will cycle through 3 functions best I can recall. A) turns overhead lights on. B) Turns night light on - overhead lights off. C) turns fan off if, say it was preset to run for *10* minutes or whatever. The wire harness in the Broan Fan/L/NL has 5 wires: white, black, blue, red, & ground. The switch has 4 wires: black, red, white, & ground. I have a black wire from the Line Side of a GFCI pigtailed to the black coming out of the switch and to the black running up to the attic (used 14-3 wire) to the wire harness in the fan. All white wires are pigtailed together from the Line Side. The red wire from the switch is pigtailed to the 14-3 red and connected in the attic to the red wire. The blue wire in the wire harness in the fan is pigtailed to the black in the wire harness via the black running up into the attic from the 14-3. I screwed up somewhere. When I turn on the breaker, the fan, lights, and night light all are on at the same time. I cannot override by pressing the on/off button. I'm thinking that I should run and additional *black* wire from the Line Side of the GFCI up into the attic and pigtail it to the blue wire separately. According the the Broan schematic the reds take care of the night light. One black is shown connected to the blue wire which represents the regular lights. Another black is shown connected to the fan. So my thinking is that I should pull the blue that is currently pigtailed to the blacks in the fan wire harness and run a separate black to it. Suggestions?

Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

I looked at the directions for the RT1. It will control only one function of the unit, the light or the NL or the fan, not all 3. You need 2 additional light switches and another 14/2 run from the switch box to the fan.

Nutone sells a timer/light switch but you can make your own.
http://www.nutone.com/products/produ...1-cf4c386cddec

The black from your GFCI goes to the black on the RT1. The red lead goes to the conductor that you want to control... fan, NL, light.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
I looked at the directions for the RT1. It will control only one function of the unit, the light or the NL or the fan, not all 3. You need 2 additional light switches and another 14/2 run from the switch box to the fan.

Nutone sells a timer/light switch but you can make your own.
http://www.nutone.com/products/produ...1-cf4c386cddec

The black from your GFCI goes to the black on the RT1. The red lead goes to the conductor that you want to control... fan, NL, light.
Thanks for the link. I'm perplexed as to how I was able to make the RT1 work in conjunction with the Broan fan/light/nightlight combo 3 years ago... Oh well... The Broan fan schematic shows the red from the switch attached to the red in the harness. I'm assuming that I'll need the 14-2 to pick up one or other of the lights.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm perplexed as to how I was able to make the RT1 work in conjunction with the Broan fan/light/nightlight combo 3 years ago... Oh well... The Broan fan schematic shows the red from the switch attached to the red in the harness. I'm assuming that I'll need the 14-2 to pick up one or other of the lights.
Sorry, left some info out.

From the exhaust unit,
the black goes to a light switch
the red goes to the RT1
the blue goes to another light switch.

The 14/2 will be used to pick up one of the lights.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Sorry, left some info out.

From the exhaust unit,
the black goes to a light switch
the red goes to the RT1
the blue goes to another light switch.

The 14/2 will be used to pick up one of the lights.
Got it! Plus I was able to retrieve images from the previous house when the ceiling in the bath were exposed (before drywall) I saw 3 runs of 12-2 going to the fan from the two-gang box. (I ran out of 14-2 and apparently did not have any 14-3... so I used up some 12-2) RT1 is in one side of the gang box. On the other side is a single pole three-switch not unlike the right hand side of the image of the Nutone VS69WH. Except the one I installed has 3 switches. That had me scratching my head for awhile. Its amazing what I can forget in 3 years. Finally I figured it all out. One switch went to an overhead light where the washer/dryer were situated. The other two took care of the night light and the regular lights in the fan. The RT1 simply takes care of the fan. So, I just need to run a leg of 14-2 up into the attic. Hook one switch to the night light and one to the lamp. See anything wrong with this plan?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist
Got it! Plus I was able to retrieve images from the previous house when the ceiling in the bath were exposed (before drywall) I saw 3 runs of 12-2 going to the fan from the two-gang box. (I ran out of 14-2 and apparently did not have any 14-3... so I used up some 12-2) RT1 is in one side of the gang box. On the other side is a single pole three-switch not unlike the right hand side of the image of the Nutone VS69WH. Except the one I installed has 3 switches. That had me scratching my head for awhile. Its amazing what I can forget in 3 years. Finally I figured it all out. One switch went to an overhead light where the washer/dryer were situated. The other two took care of the night light and the regular lights in the fan. The RT1 simply takes care of the fan. So, I just need to run a leg of 14-2 up into the attic. Hook one switch to the night light and one to the lamp. See anything wrong with this plan?
Looks good.
Telescopist (12-15-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Looks good.
Update. I purchase a Broan 15-amp white single-pole switch. Item #: 26550 (Lowes) Model #: P68W. I ran an additional 14-2 into the attic. Blk.from RT1 in 14-3 goes to blk. in fan. All whites pigtailed. red to red from switch to fan (night light). Blk. from 14-2 from switch to blue wire in fan. Turned power back on. The two switches work fine: night light on one, regular lights on the other. The problem is that the RT1 still refuses to take commands. The fan stays on continuously. Will not turn off. Note: There is an orphan red wire on the RT1 which I capped off. I don't think it has a bearing on this problem. I am beginning to suspect that the RT1 is defective. Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Update. I purchase a Broan 15-amp white single-pole switch. Item #: 26550 (Lowes) Model #: P68W. I ran an additional 14-2 into the attic. Blk.from RT1 in 14-3 goes to blk. in fan. All whites pigtailed. red to red from switch to fan (night light). Blk. from 14-2 from switch to blue wire in fan. Turned power back on. The two switches work fine: night light on one, regular lights on the other. The problem is that the RT1 still refuses to take commands. The fan stays on continuously. Will not turn off. Note: There is an orphan red wire on the RT1 which I capped off. I don't think it has a bearing on this problem. I am beginning to suspect that the RT1 is defective. Any suggestions?
Speaking just to the RT1 connections.
The black from the 14/3 goes to the red on the RTI.
The black from the power supply goes to the black on the RT1.

When you connect all of the blacks together, the electricity just flows from the supply straight to the fan. The timer interrupts the connection.

Last edited by djlandkpl; 12-16-2013 at 04:40 PM.
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Speaking just to the RT1 connections.
The black from the 14/3 goes to the red on the RTI.
The black from the power supply goes to the black on the RT1.

When you connect all of the blacks together, the electricity just flows from the supply straight to the fan. The timer interrupts the connection.
Thanks. Tomorrow I'll try this combo. I'll buy you a beer or drink of your choice if this pans out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Telescopist For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (12-16-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #10

How'd you make out? Looking forward to my e-beer.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
How'd you make out? Looking forward to my e-beer.
Hahaha I am one happy dude. Thanks to you. I had to install a gas furnace in one of my apartments and that sucked up two days what with having to cut through 3 load bearing brick walls in order to shove through 7" Black Jacket. Lots of fun snorting brick dust. I was chomping at the bit to take your advice and wire line-blk. to blk side of RT1 and run the red up to the blk in the harness. Finally got to it yesterday. Worked perfectly! I got the fan running off the RT1 just like it should and the Nutone two-switch is handling the night light & regular lights. The lights went on in my head once you mentioned that I was bypassing the switch when I tied all the blacks together. Duh. Now I have to figure how how to get you that e-beer!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #12

Glad to help. Happy Holidays!

Telescopist (12-20-2013)