Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
thedockguy

Share |

Windows Fogged Up

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove one glass pane from a double pane window and clean the "fog" or haze inside the two and then re-seal with caulking and new spline? Can the glass be removed or is it too far up into the aluminum frame to clear the metal? I have several like this but wanted to know if it's possible and will the "fog" come clean. Thanks in advance.

ozom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #2

Windows Fogged Up

The glass is a sealed unit, once it leaks it has to be replaced. You need to replce the IGU(insulated glass unit), or the sash, which depends on the sash construction. Can you find a manufacturers name?? There is probably someone locally that can make up an IGU.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Mod

Windows Fogged Up

It can be done. It cost 50% of the cost of new glass. Can’t find any info on how long it last which tells me it doesn’t. Do it twice and you could have had new glass.

Here’s a video on the process.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Windows Fogged Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozom View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove one glass pane from a double pane window and clean the "fog" or haze inside the two and then re-seal with caulking and new spline? Can the glass be removed or is it too far up into the aluminum frame to clear the metal? I have several like this but wanted to know if it's possible and will the "fog" come clean. Thanks in advance.
It sounds like you have older insulated glass windows. As previously stated, taking it apart and trying to repair the glass you have is a waste of time and money. At this point, local glaziers can replace the insulated panel for a reasonable cost.
Just be aware this is the beginning of the issue. Don't be surprised if they start failing on a regular basis from this point on.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Electrician

Windows Fogged Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Just be aware this is the beginning of the issue. Don't be surprised if they start failing on a regular basis from this point on.
Ron
From what, just poor assembly?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #6

Windows Fogged Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
From what, just poor assembly?
Older windows just didn't have the technology or methodology. When replacement windows first came out there was a plethora of companies that came to the market to fill the "upgrade" market. Many were flashes in the proverbial pan and disappeared. Others were diligent but lacked the expertise to make a sustenable product. Some built a product whose lifespan is at an end.
I don't know which category the poster falls into, but I would guess this is the first of a series of failures in his windows.
Aluminum windows and metal windows in general are older technology. That's why I thought the posters windows were 70's-80's vintage.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
thedockguy

Windows Fogged Up

First I want to thank all who have taken the time to respond.
You are exactly right Ron.....this house was built in 1983. We just moved in a month ago and I'm just now getting to the point of addressing these windows. They are of aluminum construction and seem to be built pretty well save the "fog" issue. I was hoping I could get by for another year or so by taking them apart, cleaning, and re-sealing with silicon and new window spline but after reading the replies from you all, I will probably try just one of them and see how it holds up for about 6 months. Then I will decide if I want to bite the bullet ($) and buy replacement windows. Will keep you guys posted down the road and let you know how it turned out. Thanks again for all the input.

Mike
ozom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #8

Windows Fogged Up

A previous thread (now closed) had many cases where people were drilling two small holes in the inner glass pain, several reported success. Apparently there were variations in the amount of time for the moisture to disappear, if it did. I saw no mention or questions about using a forced pressure or vacuum. A small aquarium air pump, or even the 1/8" tubing connected to a vacuum cleaner with tape. This would a loose connection with a large leak to avoiding overloading the vacuum. Has anyone tried or considered something like this?

WheelQST is offline   Reply With Quote