Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

window in tub/shower

I've been debating on what to do with our tub and shower. The tub is old and the tiles around the shower are beginning to come loose. I looked at the shower wall pieces at lowes and they look like they would work well. I really don't want to go to the time and expense to do shower tile. One problem is that we have a window over the tub. Would I cut the shower wall piece to accomodate the window or how would you do it. It would be best if the window wasn't there. Any suggestions

bthomas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

window in tub/shower

If you use the search function there was some great responses to a similar thread a month or so ago.

In the meanwhile, the tub-surrounds that most home centers sell are a quick fix and not a long term solution. The plastic is very thin and is brittle. There are some thick tub/shower surrounds that will stand up over time, you will not find these in stock at home centers.

Use a vinyl replacement window with PVC interior trim so you will not have any surfaces that will rot or attract mold. You can special order the window with obscure glass so you don't have to use a mini blind.

fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

window in tub/shower

I just got a little excited when I happened across this forum and posted a thread. I should have searched because I found the info I needed after I posted. Thanks for the quick reply.

We will not be in the house for longer than 2-3 more years so I think the wall surrounds would at least hold up for that long and wouldn't depreciate the house since the tiles are falling off...correct?
bthomas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

window in tub/shower

You should get a few years out of them. Stay away from the ones with the plastic "grab bars" they will pull out and cause the plastic to crack! Make sure that you wall is very flat and even, if not it will show through the thin plastic.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote