Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window trim over existing T-111?

I was asked by a friend to trim out some windows recently. The previous remodelers replaced the old windows with new windows, then replaced the old siding with T-111. They then ran the T-111 siding right up to the window, no trim, no flashing, just caulk all around the window. My question is: How or can I install simple window trim over the T-111 with only a 1/4 inch reveal to work with? (The idea is so they can paint the trim a different color from the building).
One other thing, underneath the siding, is just house wrap and framing. I realize this is a bit of a head scratcher and I could really use some pointers. Thanks.

Last edited by J Howard; 07-24-2012 at 10:32 AM.
J Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

What kind of trim are you placing on the exterior? Did they pull the old window frames out? Are the new windows vinyl, aluminum, or wood? Was the house wrap put on after the installation of the new windows? What kind of siding was on there before? I'm not sure I understand when you say you only have a 1/4'' reveal to work with? Are you saying the window sticks out a 1/4'' past the t-111? Oh, welcome to DIY !

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ok, I have no idea what kind of trim to install, other than it be an exterior grade something or another. The widows are vinyl, and it looks like the house wrap was installed before the widows were installed. They had used a now canceled type of siding I'm not familiar with. The previous siding had warped badly. And yes, the windows look like they were installed so that they stick out only a 1/4 inch from the T-111. It's a nightmare for sure! And finally, Thank You!
Oops, missed one of your questions. Yes the old widows were one piece single paned aluminum. They never had widow trim previously either. The building is late 1970's/early 1980.

Last edited by J Howard; 07-24-2012 at 10:54 AM.
J Howard is offline   Reply With Quote