DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Window Trim (

Smoke 03-03-2012 11:20 AM

Window Trim
1 Attachment(s)
What would you all do in this situation? I have an old house, things are crooked, not level, not plumb, etc. I had new windows installed and I am putting trim around them now. In this photo, it shows that the drywall sticks out past the window therefore leaving a 1/8" gap between the window and the back of the trim. Now, I could pad it out with a piece of filler but the problem is that some parts of the drywall are flush with the window. Now what? Should I make an outline in the drywall and shave back certain parts?

mae-ling 03-03-2012 01:55 PM

For 1/8" I usually am able to score the drywall on the high spots 1/4" inside the width of the casing, so the casing covers it. Chisel this down (some just break it with a hammer, I don't). so it is flush with the window. When you put on your casing it will be slightly angles out and you have to account for this in your mitres.

princelake 03-03-2012 03:04 PM

ya i smash it with a hammer and cut it with a utilty knife, larger then a 1/4" then i'd put a build out

Smoke 03-03-2012 03:08 PM

Thank you for your replies, I will try it!

joecaption 03-03-2012 03:16 PM

Hard to say from that picture. Looks like more then 1/8 to me.
Is the sheetrock even with or cut back away from the window jambs?
If it is just an 1/8" cutting the paper with a razer knife and tapping the rock to remove some it as suggested has always work for me.

mae-ling 03-03-2012 03:29 PM

If it is 1/4" and out in some spots and flush in others add 1/8" filler strip. then do as suggested above

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1