Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 253
Share |
Default

window suppliers


Are there any large window suppliers (national chains)? For example, roofing has ABC supply and Bradco. I'm looking for a new construction window (aluminum). Any brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well.

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Default

window suppliers


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
Are there any large window suppliers (national chains)? For example, roofing has ABC supply and Bradco. I'm looking for a new construction window (aluminum). Any brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well.
My suggestion is to look at manufacturers websites and then find dealers local to you. There are NUMEROUS manufacturers of windows and many suppliers too. Depends really on what brand you're looking for.
Maybe put your location in your profile. Hard to suggest something local for you when we don't even know what country you live in.

__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 253
Default

window suppliers


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
My suggestion is to look at manufacturers websites and then find dealers local to you. There are NUMEROUS manufacturers of windows and many suppliers too. Depends really on what brand you're looking for.
Maybe put your location in your profile. Hard to suggest something local for you when we don't even know what country you live in.

I live in Central Florida. I'm not sure where builders usually get their windows around here.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Default

window suppliers


Try some of the manufacturers sites to see dealer locations. Chances are a reputable supplier will carry many of the popular brands.

http://www.marvin.com/?page=where_to_buy

http://www.andersenwindows.com/servl...ctionCriteria#

http://web.pella.com/wheretobuy/Pages/Overview.aspx

http://www.jeld-wen.com/findsupplier/index.cfm
__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Default

window suppliers


I looked at Anderson windows at Home Depot then let my builder and the salesman for Choo Choo, a division of VNS Corp., switch me over to Vetter windows. Of the 28 sashes in the 14 double hung 38 inch windows, 15 bowed. After the windows were installed and problems noted, the salesman told my builder to hold off on priming until they could check out. A year later they say, "Sorry, you should have primed -- warranty voided." Find a good dealer and buy quality windows....Marvin or Anderson.
stparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
 
Aggie67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 587
Default

window suppliers


The Bradco by me sells windows, also.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

window suppliers


I went with almost all Anderson windows
I have 5 Pella - 2 are in an attic, 1 is on a 3 season porch, another looks out on the 3 season porch. The 5th is in bathroom

I was told that the "in-stock" Home Depot windows are a lower quality then "normal". Not sure if it is true, quite a few of mine were special order due to size. They were stock Anderson windows, just HD did not carry that size in stock. I was told that with these special order from Anderson they were the reg quality windows

Some prior owner installed cheap replacement windows
House is much quieter & warmer with new windows
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Tired & Dirty
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 80
Default

window suppliers


As long as you go with the 400 series Andersen you'll be happy a very long time, the 200 series now that is another story.
evapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 102
Blog Entries: 1
Default

window suppliers


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I went with almost all Anderson windows
I have 5 Pella - 2 are in an attic, 1 is on a 3 season porch, another looks out on the 3 season porch. The 5th is in bathroom

I was told that the "in-stock" Home Depot windows are a lower quality then "normal". Not sure if it is true, quite a few of mine were special order due to size. They were stock Anderson windows, just HD did not carry that size in stock. I was told that with these special order from Anderson they were the reg quality windows

Some prior owner installed cheap replacement windows
House is much quieter & warmer with new windows
I hear this all the time. HD does not sell seconds, it's the same quality window you buy at other lumber yards, unless you get a window that was already returned and on reduce tag from another customers order. Oh, some times the window at HD has sat on the shelf for years, be sure too keep your receipt for warranty purposes. Some HD stores stock 400 Series Casements and Tilt wash 400 series in my area, some other stores stock the 200 Series. There prices are competitive, but check out your local lumber yards, they also carry some stock, it's the same window. Special order can mean many things: example would be a standard size not in stock, but still a standard size may not be in stock or you want many different options that could mean S.O.. 400 Series windows are still 400 Series windows-there is no difference who might stock them-200 Series can come insulated glass. But, I still would have shopped at a local lumber yard, better service, better knowledge. If you bought the 400 Series you bought A/W top of the line window now as we currently know it. But, there are new series coming soon from want the A/W rep tells me.

EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stool and Apron Window Trim Style Advice DIYCarp Carpentry 8 01-24-2009 09:31 AM
Keeping Egress Window Code Compliant ClnlBrahm Building & Construction 2 09-11-2008 10:00 PM
Re-sizing a window opening shtoink Carpentry 5 09-04-2008 10:47 AM
Shower in Window jchri66 Remodeling 1 05-27-2008 12:50 PM
Replacing aluminum window with a vinyl one? Doug Crf Building & Construction 2 04-23-2007 04:49 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.