Window In Shower=leaks?? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window in Shower=leaks??

Just bought an investment prop that I am fixing up. Bathroom has to be completely redone. There is a window in the shower area. Question is - is there anyway to keep the window in the shower and seal it properly to keep water from getting behind the tile? Should I just close it up and install a tub surround over that area? Keep in mind this is a rental but I want it to be a nice one. Thoughts? Thanks!!

Advertisement

machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Window in Shower=leaks??

Waterproofing the window will be possible, but for a rental it will be safer and cheaper to place the surround.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Window in Shower=leaks??

Just so you know, you should have a membrane placed underneath the tile to effectively catch the moisture that does get behind your tile. I don't mean "if," but "when."

Josh Jaros
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

Window in Shower=leaks??

Is there a vent fan to remove moisture if you remove/cover the window? Also, whether you decide to keep the window or cover it, make sure that it is sealed properly outside as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Window in Shower=leaks??

A waterproofing membrane is vital; I understand it is a rental but all the more reason to ensure the tub surround or the shower enclosure - including around the window - is watertight. Depends on where you're at now; if you're going to demo anyway, then a membrane is better than the surround. Ditto if it's just the window wall. But the window itself can be waterproofed but it will involves doing the tiles as well so you might just want to look at a complete job.

IMO well worth the time and effort. Nothing like having to redo a shower after a few years -tenant there or not.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #6

Window in Shower=leaks??

Thanks all. So the take away for me is that I can keep the window IF it is waterproofed properly. I understand from reading some of the other threads about waterproofing behind the tile. I get that part. My big concern is the window. It's the kind that has a crank to open it outward (Anderson Window), and the crank mechanism is in the shower. How do you keep water from getting into that mechanism, and ultimately the wall (through the crank assembly)? I can silicone around the base but obviouly not where the crank pivots. Sorry, I know very little about the mechanics of the window. Thanks agian for the replys!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Window in Shower=leaks??

The crank is only surfaced mount and water will not get into the wall through this. but there is no way you can prevent water from getting into this unit.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #8

Window in Shower=leaks??

A wood window in the shower area is asking for trouble. You have a few choices. Replace it with a vinyl window in it's current location. Replace it with an awning window, placed higher on the wall. Or remove it completely.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #9

Window in Shower=leaks??

Thanks again everyone. I'm leaning toward removing/covering the window. I'm sure I'll have some other questions soon.

Advertisement