Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

Window sash runner/liner

I am planning to renovate some wood double hung windows in an old house. The windows have an aluminum sash runner that holds the sashes in place and provide weather stripping. These were stapled in place and will be seriously damaged when I remove them. The lower sash has a tube type sash lifter to help raise the window.

Where can I purchase a similar aluminum or vinyl sash runner to replace the ones I will be removing? The house is not historic or of great value so I don't want to spend more than I need to. I just use it on weekends. But the windows definitely need to be repaired or they will rot out in the next few years since the paint is peeling and the putty has cracked around the glass panes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jds1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #2

Window sash runner/liner

They used to sell them in lumber yards years ago. I haven't really looked for them in quite a while as no one keeps the old windows anymore.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Window sash runner/liner

The aluminum tracks are called compression balances. I've not seen them anywhere for a long time, but a private lumber yard may still have them. The tubular ones are called "unique sash balances". They are still made. Maybe the same lumber yard.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #4

Window sash runner/liner

Marvin Windows has a unit called, I think, a Tilt-Pac. It consists of window sashes and vinyl jamb liners for replacement of old double hung windows. Tilt Pacs are easy to install, but being Marvin they might be too expensive. Worth looking into, though.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window sash