DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Window sash runner/liner (

jds1900 04-25-2009 07:25 PM

Window sash runner/liner
I am planning to renovate some wood double hung windows in an old house. The windows have an aluminum sash runner that holds the sashes in place and provide weather stripping. These were stapled in place and will be seriously damaged when I remove them. The lower sash has a tube type sash lifter to help raise the window.

Where can I purchase a similar aluminum or vinyl sash runner to replace the ones I will be removing? The house is not historic or of great value so I don't want to spend more than I need to. I just use it on weekends. But the windows definitely need to be repaired or they will rot out in the next few years since the paint is peeling and the putty has cracked around the glass panes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ron6519 04-25-2009 08:33 PM

They used to sell them in lumber yards years ago. I haven't really looked for them in quite a while as no one keeps the old windows anymore.

Maintenance 6 04-26-2009 08:01 AM

The aluminum tracks are called compression balances. I've not seen them anywhere for a long time, but a private lumber yard may still have them. The tubular ones are called "unique sash balances". They are still made. Maybe the same lumber yard.

7echo 04-26-2009 08:35 PM

Marvin Windows has a unit called, I think, a Tilt-Pac. It consists of window sashes and vinyl jamb liners for replacement of old double hung windows. Tilt Pacs are easy to install, but being Marvin they might be too expensive. Worth looking into, though.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1