DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

window sash replacement kits?

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Skuce 
#1 ·
We need to replace the windows in our 1928 home, 16 in all, starting with about 8 now. We've looked at insert replacement windows but we would lose nearly an inch of glass on each side of the window (ex: Jeld-Wen Siteline EX windows are 3 5/16" from jamb to viewing area, and our current windows are only 2 1/4").

A sash replacement kit seems like a good option: we would certainly get improved performance over our decaying single pane windows, and we wouldn't lose all that viewing area. Our frames seem to be in surprisingly good shape after checking height, width, square, plumb / level, so it seems like we could make these work.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these and can you help us with a few questions:

• How well do they perform compared to old single pane windows? What about compared to an insert replacement window?
  • Any comparison between: Jeld-Wen ZapPack, Jeld-Wen Siteline EX, Marvin Tilt Pac? Any others you would recommend we consider?
  • How does the price for a sash replacement kit compare to the price for an insert replacement window? We're looking at double hung, wood clad, Low E/ argon window with SDL grids, approx 32 x 58.
Thanks for the help!

Jim

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been using the Jeld-Wen "custom window" instructions for measurement, which guide you through measuring height in three places, width in three places, level, plumb, square, and twist for the frame. So far the windows have been within their tolerances, which are generally 1/8" of variance.

Even with checking and double checking measurements, I'm still anxious about just how perfect the frames need to be to make this work. Was your experience that the frames need to be "dead on" or will the sash replacements work well even with small deviations?

Have the Marvin Tilt-Pacs worked well for you overall? Any issues with air infiltration or sash movement? When you installed your kits, did you do any extra weather-proofing e.g. around the jamb liner or at the sill?

Thanks so much for the help.

Jim

#4 ·
I have installed quite a few Marvin tilt-pacs over the years, including in my own house(20+ yrs ago). I have had few calls from customers, indicating they are satisfied. I only have one window that has leakage issues, probably due to bad measurements on my part. Marvin said to caulk the jamb liner at the sill, which is what I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.