Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

Window Replacements

I just received some Jeld-Wen windows I ordered from Home Depot. I was planning to install these myself, but now I'm not so sure.

Here is my situation. They are replacing windows in my basement. The construction down there is cinderblock faced with Brick.

These windows are aluminum clad wood casement windows. They will be such a huge improvement over the 35 year old windows there now if I can get them in.

Couple problems though. They placed the order with a nailing fin and the nailing fin makes them bigger than my opening since they are going into a cinderblock opening. Jeld-Wen says no problem. Just score the fin with an "exacto" knife and break it off. Anyone every try this before?

The other thing I am not sure about is how to attach the brick mold after I get the window in.

Finally, I think I ordered the jambs too deep. I had measured from the back of the brick mold to where the new interior wall would be and ordered 8 9/16 sills. Problem is, they don't measure from the face of the window, so now they are too big, unless I can just set the windows out 1" farther. Anyone ever try cutting windows sills to make them smaller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I guess I should have known better, it is just that the Pella guys that came out were so expensive and the guy from lowes that came out was not the brightest bulb in the pack.

nicksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Eibwen

Window Replacements

Should be fine to cut the nail fins off as suggested. Then just shim and nail thru the frame to secure it in place.

Not sure if Jeld Wen makes em but Pella makes a nice little L bracket that locks in a groove on the outside of the frame to secure the window in place to the studs on retro's. If your fit isnt too might ya might be able to fabricate some.

You can cut the frame depth down but it would be best to put a guide on your window to keep the cuts straight. If its a wood frame, you might be able to pull off the peice they used to extend the frame depth and then mill and reinstall.

As far as the brickmold depending on your rough opening and window outside dimensions, you may be able to cleat the window frame on the outside to give some meat to nail the molding too.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #3

Window Replacements

What size are these windows? Are these typical basement windows or are they typical above ground windows? Traditional basement windows are either hoppers or sliders.
I would set the windows deeper in the opening if you have the room.
Next time you're doing a job that you've little experience in, it would make sense to post at the preordering stage. I once had a customer who ordered a whole house (22)full of vinyl replacement windows. He had no idea what the measuring criteria was. He called me when he couldn't figure out how they went in. All the windows were too big to fit into their intended locations. All the frames needed to be removed and new frames fabricated to fit the windows he ordered. Luckily there was room in the opening to make the adjustment. So instead of saving money, he spent twice as much as it would have cost if he called someone in at the start to install them.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #4

Window Replacements

The windows are various sizes. A couple are like 40" x 42" a couple are 80" x 42". I ordered casement windows. What are in there now are Caradco wood sliding windows.

I measured the openings as Home Depot instructed me too and relied upon them to get the order correct. I did tell them I didn't want nailing fins, but since Jeld-Wen says they can be cut off without too much trouble, I don't think that is a big issue.

As for the depth, I thought that from the backside of the brick mold to the inside of the finished wall was the measurement they wanted for the sill. The current windows are sitting back quite a ways from the face of the brick, so I might still have plenty of room. I haven't taken the old windows out yet, so I am trying "now" to get as much information as possible before I actually get into it.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #5

Window Replacements

nicksr said: "I measured the openings as Home Depot instructed me too and relied upon them to get the order correct. "

That one sentence explains it all.
Ron
Old 12-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #6

Window Replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
That one sentence explains it all.
Ron
Mabye so, but it is what it is and what is done is done.

Unfortunately, I have more time than I have money and couldn't afford to pay someone the much higher quoted prices for them to install the windows. That is why I am doing it myself and that is why I am asking for help on a DIY Forum.

Now if someone has some advice that will "actually" help, I hope they will offer it up.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #7

Window Replacements

You were told to:
1. Cut the window to fit.
2. Set the window deeper into the opening if you had the room.
Take your pick.
Ron
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Woodworker and Contractor

Window Replacements

If HD told you the wrong way to mesure then make them fix the windows thats where all those sale windows and doors come from.Did you see the manager or just the person who made the mistake. At very least get a discount. Lowes eats tons of SO thats where I get great deals Switching a fin window to a frame mount will work but do not hang it out an 1" thats look for a leak. Try to cut them off the best you can. Good Luck
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #9

Window Replacements

Kingfisher said: "If HD told you the wrong way to mesure then make them fix the windows thats where all those sale windows and doors come from.Did you see the manager or just the person who made the mistake."
This is not a viable scenario. There is no written contract or instructions to prove what was instructed. Or for that matter what was understood about the instructions. There are so many ways to measure windows, depending on type of install and type of window that a novice having a casual coversation with even the most knowledgeable Home Depot employee is unlikely to be successful in the endeavor. To be successsful you would need to follow up with detailed research that would encompass what windows you were going to put in , the place you were going to put them and how these windows need to be measured.
These home shows that show these guys popping in windows left and right never get into the subtlies of the procedures of measuring, giving the impression that there is no difference.
Luckily, in this situation, the solution for a fix isn't too bad in either time or dollars.
Ron
Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Woodworker and Contractor

Window Replacements

I agree, but I have seen the manager give nice discount to end the fighting. *************** and moan enough and you never know cutting them down is not that hard

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote