Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #1

Share |

Window replacement - questions

Hello.. this is my first post, so please go easy

I am currently remodeling a home right now and was planning on replacing the windows as they appear to be older. I am on a relatively tight budget, so am looking at middle of the road replacement windows.

I have a number of windows that are apparently wood Andersen windows that were manufactured in 1983.

I have had a couple companies come in and tell me everything needed to be replaced, etc. Which I kind of expected.

I then had a Pella salesman come in and said that if it was him, he would leave the Andersen windows as those would be just as good, if not better, than any vinyl window that I was looking to replace them with.

The more I thought about it.. of course these other window companies want to replace all of my windows because it's their job to sell new replacement windows. What made me start thinking hard about it is when the Pella man said he would leave them in and only replace the old aluminum windows that I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

wahhutch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #2

From what I have found

Single pane windows are R1
Double pane windows are close to/above R2
Argon, triple pane are slightly higher

You get better return on more insulation in the attic/walls etc
And sealing the house with caulking to prevent cold air coming in
I replace my windows because several were broken, glass or sash
And when they installed them (replacement windows) they did not take out the sash weights & insulate the pockets. I had a huge heat loss around each window & between 6 sets of double windows. I went with new Anderson windows, not replacements - since I am residing the whole house

If the Andersons are in good shape I'd be inclined to leave them

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahhutch9 View Post
Hello.. this is my first post, so please go easy

I am currently remodeling a home right now and was planning on replacing the windows as they appear to be older. I am on a relatively tight budget, so am looking at middle of the road replacement windows.

I have a number of windows that are apparently wood Andersen windows that were manufactured in 1983.

I have had a couple companies come in and tell me everything needed to be replaced, etc. Which I kind of expected.

I then had a Pella salesman come in and said that if it was him, he would leave the Andersen windows as those would be just as good, if not better, than any vinyl window that I was looking to replace them with.

The more I thought about it.. of course these other window companies want to replace all of my windows because it's their job to sell new replacement windows. What made me start thinking hard about it is when the Pella man said he would leave them in and only replace the old aluminum windows that I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?
What you need is the Andersen Conversion Kits. The first one I installed only took 10 to 20 minutes it's easy and anyone can do it. Conversion Kits make your windows into 400 Series Tilt Wash windows, you can get grilles between the glass, you can get prefinished white, sandtone, terratone, white is a standard option. They are eassier to into than a vinyl window you get brand new 20/10 year warranty and no need for a contractor. SO you save labor, time, and parts can be bought 30 years down the road "if" your sills are ok. If your frames are seperating a little caulk them. Forget vinyl windows, vinyl windows companys come and go out of business, try to get parts later and 55% to 65% almost all vinyl windows leak air after 3 to 4 years. Conversions kits are just one way to qualify for the tax rebates plus you get the new andersen glass which low-e4 standard. OR you could go and get new 400 Tilt Wash windows they are the same size windows from 1968 or newer same with the conversion kits if your frames are not CROWNED or seperating. Conversion kits are two sashes and two new jamb liners and are made specifically for your application. I'll tell n ya you should check out for your self buy one and try it, you'll like it and it will convince you to buy the rest.
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote