Window Replacement To Cool Loft - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window replacement to cool loft

Hello all,

My house has the master bedroom located in the loft and the gable ends of the house are all fixed single panes of glass. I am planning on replacing the windows in the loft in order to install some operating windows that will help cool off the area better in the summer and insulate better year round. Because of the shape of the windows, trapezoids and triangles etc. I am limited to two relatively easy swaps. One is to replace the 2 center windows with casements, the other is to change all 4 windows to ones with an awning in the bottom and then fixed panes above. The casements would be about 33X58 and the awnings would be about 33X18 each. I like the look of the awning option but I fear that because the awnings will be located just above the floor that they will not effectively cool the loft down in the summer. The casements would be open up to about head height so I think that they would work better. Does anyone out there know if my thinking is correct? Is there some sort of heating/airflow model that I can look at?

Thanks in advance.

-john

Advertisement

jgreer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You should also look into how the attic area above the loft is vented to the exterior. Is there a balanced intake and exhaust system in place to remove the superheated air from the space. Is the area surrounding the living space properly insulated? While operating windows will help move some air, there's more then one component in the equation.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

awning would not meet egress codes
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Ron- There is no attic above the loft, just a ceiling, about 4 inches of foam, and then the roof. Of course sheeting etc. but you get the idea. The windows are intended to remove the heated air :-)

Kingfisher- i'm pretty sure that I don't want the windows as an egress 'cause the fall to the ground would hurt from the 2nd floor :-)

thanks.

-john
jgreer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

Think about an air conditioner.
If you get a lot of sunlight through those windows ,it'll never cool down enough.
If this isn't an option,go with the casements,making sure you have cross ventilation.

Kingfisher- i'm pretty sure that I don't want the windows as an egress 'cause the fall to the ground would hurt from the 2nd floor :-)

Building code will require egress windows on any second floor bedroom.

I am limited to two relatively easy swaps. One is to replace the 2 center windows with casements, the other is to change all 4 windows to ones with awning in the bottom and then fixed panes above......

Why fixed on top/Are these the trapazoids?
If not,put awning on top.

The addition of a ceiling fan may help,if you have the head room.
Only other option is a ventilating sky lights.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

jgreer916 said: "Ron- There is no attic above the loft, just a ceiling, about 4 inches of foam, and then the roof. Of course sheeting etc. but you get the idea. The windows are intended to remove the heated air :-)"

With that setup the venting system would change, but you would still benefit from it's use. Ridge vents at the top and one of a few intake choices at the bottom. This is all contingent on the consideration there is a space of at least 1" between the sheathing and the insulation. The space moves the hot air to the ridge where it passively exits as it draws in coller air at the bottom. The roof will last longer, there will be less heat stress on the sheathing and the cost to cool the loft will be less.

Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Just cause you don't want them does mean they are not required by code Every sleeping room must have two exits, I assume the windows would be it for the loft.

Advertisement

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote